1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do K&N cold air kits actually do anything on a Silverado?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by stchman, Nov 29, 2012.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I do believe that with a less restrictive air filter and a less restrictive tube, some performance gain will be realized.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

There are multiple schools of thought about the cia systems. Older trucks like my 1995 or 2005 have a very restrictive tube, while the newer trucks tube is much less restrictive. Increases in performance may be more evident in older model trucks then newer trucks. That being said some believe that the baffles in the stock tube are not meant to restrict air flow but, to smooth the flow of air out. So when it enters the throttle body is it less turbulent and flows easier into the motor. Then there are the folks that say that changing just the intake without changing out the exhaust system is pointless. If you are letting air flow in easier but not out then gains will not be realized. I really don't know what the correct answer is. I had a drop in k&n in my silverado. Did I notice a difference? Maybe. It could have just been a mental thing though
  3. stchman

There are people that think those throttle body spacers do something besides make a whistle sound.

I still don't see what that spinning the air equates to more HP and torque.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I live in Michigan near ford and gm headquarters. I have seen ford engineers use microsized balls or rubber bb's and high speed cameras to watch the flow of air thru intakes and engines. They use clear components for some things and cutaways for others so they can see thru them. It is pretty cool to watch. It makes me think that what ever they put on my truck stock is probably for a good reason. I mean, a straight less restrictive tube would be a lot cheaper for GM to manufacture, yet they build (or have them built) the tubes with baffles
  5. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I would agree with Pikey. Engineers do things for a reason and not all of them for performance. Think a few moves ahead before you change stock components.
  6. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i have a drop in k&n filter in my stick air box. dont plan on doing a full CAI either. I really didnt even buy the filter for the power aspect of it, more so to have a long life air filter.

Alex
  7. stchman

Agreed, but a lot of what they do is to make the vehicle quieter. The engineers at Ford and GM do a fantastic job of getting the maximum power with the noise constraints placed on them.

With that being said, if you don't mind a little more volume, you can achieve better performance with:

free flowing exhaust
    free flowing intake

Removing that water heater sized quiet muffler is a good start.
  8. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

To be honest the 1996-1999 OBS truck had a fairly non restrictive air intake. The tube is about 3" and the filter is massive as you can see from my air box. No matter what you are still restricted by how much air can come through the intake in the fender that leads to the front of the truck. Mine is 3" wide and 4" tall at the opening, but the opening behind the grill is much smaller. Only about 2"x 3" in size.
    2011-06-14_12-06-30_908.jpg 2012-10-13_19-51-53_782.jpg 2012-05-13_15-20-51_178b.JPG
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Unless you cut the bottom out of the airbox!
  10. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Well of course, but then it doesn't really make it a "COLD" air intake since it will suck in hot air from the engine compartment.