Do the 2000-2004 surburbans have passing power?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Enjoijoe, Mar 5, 2009.

Newest Photos

1. Enjoijoe

Enjoijoe New Member

Hi I am looking to buy a suburan and was wondering if the have good accelertation I know the suburban is no race car, but I was wondering if can be powerful when you need it?
  2. rank

rank New Member

Not in my opinion. I had 5 Yukon/Suburban/Tahoe's between 1995 -1998 with the 5.7 and one pickup with that new engine...1999 model year I think it was. I remember thinking the 5.7 was much better. But you're not really buying these trucks for passing power.
  3. scgamer_99

scgamer_99 New Member

i would have to say no unless it's the 7.4 i have a k250 454 and i can pass just about anyone i want to but it will drink your gas like it was water
  4. Kraziken

Kraziken New Member 100 Posts

The Vortec 5.7 was better than the motor in my 1991 though. While gas mileage hasn't really improved thru the generations that much (ok, two or three miles better), they have gotten a lot more power with the newer models.
  5. Mike E.

Mike E. New Member

The 8.1L in my '01 2500 has all the passing power I need!!:glasses:

Cheers,

Mike
  6. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I was gonna say the same, Get the 8.1L if you want passing power. My avalanche can take on anything. From 30-90 is almost instant. The suburban isn't much more heavier so I'm sure it is just as capable. Just keep an eye on the fuel gauge. My heavy foot causes cash just to fall out of my wallet, and into the gas pump.
  7. Jacqson

Jacqson Member 100 Posts

My tuned 6.0 moves my Burban quite well. Stock it was OK but once the TM was removed it was like I put an 8.1 in it.
  8. mjalstad

mjalstad New Member 100 Posts

My Dad has an 02 with the 5.3 and it scoots right along just great. Plenty of passing power on that truck.