do these dents look pop out able

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Bowtied, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Rockstar 100 Posts

i haven't had much luck popping these out with myrubber mallet

IMG_20130301_214603.jpg IMG_20130301_214545.jpg

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Do you have a puller? You might be able to get some out a bit but not sure.. Do you have a heat gun too?

3. Bowtied

Bowtied Rockstar 100 Posts

No heat gun but i have been considering buying one for a separate use. And the pullers, are "all equal" I saw some suction cup type ones at harbor freight in a pack that might be useful, but i didnt know if thats still what the best tool is.

Will report back after i investigate this further.

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

hmm, you can certainly get them most of the way out, but not sure if you will still have some impact creases or not. You can certainly try it yourself and go to a pro dent-puller if you want it done by someone who's done those before.

5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Those dent guys do a Great job at times.. Can be well worth it if you are selling a truck..

6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I know that on trucks that I've not cared about too much in the past, I've just done the dent push-out with a mallet from behind ... and it was good enough. But, if I liked the truck and it was in overall good shape, then working a deal on a dent guy was a very small price to pay to have it basically disappear ... really pretty impressive how they work their craft.

7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Both those dents have sharp creases, so while you'll be able to get most of it out theres still going to be the crease to deal with, which means some body work.
    A crease also increases the chance that the paint will crack or chip.

8. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the dents are too big and the metal is stretched. the use of the body hammer to shrink the metal so that the surface is shaped correctly would be required. then the metal grinding and fillers to smooth out for primer/finish coat.

9. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

By taking it slow and focusing on reversing how dent was made you work them back out. The only issue is the creases... those will take some filler. My son purchased a new box for his truck with almost the same dents... and I was able to get them out all but a couple very sml creases. You'll want to get them out before the paint starts to pull from the metal.

10. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

No, they have creases. I assume you are meaning will it look like that there was no dent after the work.

If you want that, you'll need body work.