1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

do these work?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by blacknight97, Nov 2, 2010.

1. blacknight97

blacknight97 Rockstar 100 Posts

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I couldn't said if they work or not......but I would check your local and state laws first before buying.

Edit: In small print it said,
    *Installing smoked tint overlay cover on vehicles primary lighting may not be legal for street use. Please consult all state laws before applying to any lens.*

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  3. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yeah I couldn't tell you either. I'd like to hear what you think if you try them out though!

4. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

If its just a stick on headlight tint then it should work, but you might get some reduced visibility from your headlights. That, and you might attract more attention from the local 5-0, I only say that cuz one of my friends had tint like this on his headlights and he took the tint off after a week due to getting pulled over so much.

5. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I don't know about how well they work/don't work but I've seen them on at least one other truck before. I was surprised they were legal and didn't diminish his light output too much.

6. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

They are illegal here and i like how they look but i don't need the hassle of getting pulled over and spending my hard earned money on a ticket.

7. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

I don't understand why people want to do this to their vehicles. I guess to achieve the "fully blacked out" look, but at what cost? The lights on your vehicle serve more than one purpose. Yeah, they allow you to see at night, but they also allow others to see you. Have you ever pulled out in front of someone in inclement weather, or at dawn or twilight? Someone you never saw because they're vehicle completely blended in with the road and the background and their lights were off? I have. Lots of people drive with their lights off early in the morning because they can see, not realizing how hard it is to see them in the low light. DRL help to resolve this somewhat, but many want to disable them also. I always drive with lights on, be it DRL or headlamps, regardless of the conditions outside. The better the chance of other drivers seeing you, the less chance of being involved in an accident.
    I understand these things don't completely block out your headlights/tail lights, but I do know they can reduce the ouptut by a big amount. I used to work with a guy who had his blacked out all around, and at night you didn't know his tail lights were on and the brake lights were very dim. His headlights were also very diminished. I don't know if these things come in varying degrees (like tint), but I'm pretty sure his were not legal. I am very sure his were not safe, and wouldn't want them on my vehicle. Just something to consider.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  8. vms4evr

vms4evr Rockstar 100 Posts

Since you guys are on the legal issues of these things (which I agree with btw). There is also quite possibly an insurance ramification here too. If an accident occurs and the police determine that your diminished lights were the cause or partially to blame. Your insurance company might have a serious issue with you. As in trying to get out of paying or dropping you.

All that said the blacked out look is cool. As long as you can do it safely.

The last ones I saw worked. They hid the headlights nicely. For daytime driving they were cool. At night they killed the headlight output. Very dangerous. They were attached with Velcro and were removable. Problem is the owner was too lazy to take them off at night.

9. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen Rockstar 100 Posts

I think these are stupid. Why don't you just drive at night without your headlights on?

10. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My suggestion is buy a new headlight unit that is black. That way you still have the clear lens but get the black headlight effect.