1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do you back into your parking spot?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by AnimalYates, Jul 30, 2011.

1. SILVERADO123

SILVERADO123 New Member

It is easier to maneuver the truck parking it backward (maybe because it’s a long vehicle). And it is much easier to drive out when leaving. You never know when idiots could make your parking space tight when you want to leave..!!
  2. RedneckRucker16

RedneckRucker16 New Member

I grew up driving and F-250 superduty ext cab longbed and always found it much easier to back into a parking space rather than pulling in forward. I still back in every time whether im driving the truck or the car. Im just used to it now lol. The only thing that irritates me is the people that try to back into spots but it takes them 3 or 4 times to get it right!
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My truck is too long to fit into just one spot, so I park farther out and do the 'pull through' maneuver. I don't mind the extra walking exercise...
  4. 747

747 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I always back in, or pull through so Im facing out. Its actually easier for me, and its MUCH safer. The only people I have ever known who back in are professional drivers (truck drivers, delivery drivers, utility company workers, etc...). Im usually the only car in the parking lot thats backed in, but it makes me proud because it shows that I put a little more thought into driving.
  5. KSW Jordan

KSW Jordan New Member

I Parallel park at work (special case where its actually much easier there), but anywhere else I back in :happy:
  6. elkhornsun

elkhornsun Member

I do at home but not in town. I have been driving trucks for 40 years and one thing I have learned is that the less I back up the less likely I am to back over or into something I did not see. If I backup to pull out of a space I don't go an inch more than I need to so I can pull ahead. With the excellent rear camera on my Silverado it would be tempting to backup further but I figure why take the chance considering the cost if I am wrong and hit something or someone. A friend's father accidentally backed over his grandson last year and he will feel terrible for the rest of his life. It would have been worse had he been backing into the driveway for a faster departure.

In Monterey cars parked in public garages that are backed into the spaces get an automatic ticket. The city did this as people were backing into spaces and hitting other cars in the process - and naturally they left without leaving a note on the car they hit.
  7. billnorman

billnorman Rockstar 100 Posts

Remind me never to visit Montery California. No wonder the state is referred to as agriculturally splendid, it's the home of fruits and nuts. If the citizens can't back their environmentally friendly transportation into a parking spot without hitting things they shouldn't be allowed to drive. I understand that in some parts of California if you drive with your tailgate down it's a $500 fine.
    In regards to the gentleman that backed over his grandson, it is tragic. How does backing into a parking space become more dangerous than backing out? Grandkids are everywhere, so are pets and other people, at least if some yahoo is roaring through the parking lot you have a better chance of avoiding him or HER if you pull out forward. As a general rule, parked cars don't move.
  8. LURCH

LURCH Rockstar

Always I was a Truck driver for 27 years. I even back into the garage. I have one of the new Challengers, can you say blind spot trying to back out of any type space. You just have more control over the circumstances at the time when you are parking.
  9. MoBillyAla

MoBillyAla Rockstar 100 Posts

Due to the fact that I don't want to have to kill someone for scratching my truck (just kidding), I always park the farthest away from anyone that I can in my truck or wifes SUV... my (soon to be sold) Lancer has seen better days and since its so small I will park next to other cars..But I also don't mind that extra bit of exercise that we can all use from having to walk from the far side of the parking lot...

Back on topic, in the Army we call it "Tactical Parking" and is required of all combat vehicles... I do back up my truck about 75% of the time circumstances depending of course.. more or less just out of habit..
  10. kennyb79

kennyb79 Rockstar 100 Posts

in a large parking lot I always pull in and stop so I can drive straight out. or I back in so I can drive out. I try to avoid backing out of a spot. if I do back out I generally have a habit of walking around behind me to see if anythings behind me. I don't drive around hunting for a spot, and I usually park away from the crowd in open sections of the lot