1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Do you carrry a fire extinguisher on board?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Pikey, Sep 19, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

?

Do you carry a fire extinguisher in your truck?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I was wondering how many guys carry a fire extinguisher in their truck. I started carrying one a few months ago after my brother in law's classic chevy had an electrical fire and it caused some major damage. Luckily, some guy pulled over and put it out with an extinguisher so the car did not burn to the ground. I carry an auto/marine extinguisher. I hope that I will never need it for my vehicle, but it would be good to have on board in the case that I could help someone else.

2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I do...I off-road quite a bit as well as camp, and you just never know. Either my truck or in nature something could always spark up. And before the rains in Colorado, the wildfires were happening on a regular basis.

3. 95C1500

95C1500 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

no but after fire safety discussin in auto tech during school, I think I'll be purchasing one.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I carry two extinguishers, one is a Halon meant for use on vehicles and the other is a general chemical that can be used on anything.
    Like Mike I used to off-road alot. Most off road clubs require extinguishers as part of a club pre trip inspection.

5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I have yet to buy one for my truck. All the vehicles at the camp I work at have them.

6. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Before this thread I never thought about it. I guess because vehicles catching on fire are rare.

Any suggestions as to where to put an extinguisher?

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

In my yukon xl I have plenty of storage pockets in the rear cargo area. That is where mine is. I have only been is a NNBS truck one time so I am no help. Maybe a rear door pocket? If there is one.

8. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've always carried Fire Extinguishers, in this Truck, and the other Vehicles I've Owned, on this Truck, its mounted to the Under Rear Seat Storage Unit, its easy to get to, and the 2nd Fire Extinguisher is in the back of the truck, in a Storage Container under the Tonneau Cover.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

In my Silverado its under the rear seat drivers side.
    Tacoma xcab on a bracket behind the drivers seat, another one in the bed box.
    Jeep has one mounted to the rollbar uprights on either side.
    HHR has one mounted on a bracket in the rear cargo area.

Not being able to find or access the extiguisher is about like not having one. When you need it timing is important.
    Ive used mine on other vehicles on the road probably a half dozen times, speed is the key to saving a vehicle from total destruction since everything in them is flamable.

10. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Question I constantly change my vehicles seating layout and cargo lay out. Where would be the best place since my seats constantly are being put up and down and my cargo area is always changing.