1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do you carrry a fire extinguisher on board?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Pikey, Sep 19, 2013.

?

Do you carry a fire extinguisher in your truck?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

How much room you have between the seat and the drivers door?
    Thats where we mount them on our work trucks, readily accessable.
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Good idea!

......And seats are still looking sharp :great:
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

No sure on the real world measurements, but there's definitely a few inches space there. Wish I could measure right now, but I'm at college and my truck is back home. Here a pic of the area there. There are more pics in my interior pics album.
    [​IMG]
  4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I'm not sure if the crew is the same as the extended but mine is placed under the passenger's side back seat. I have a sub-thump box on the driver's side back seat and I used particle board and matching carpet to extend the Sub-Thump box over to the passenger's side back seat; which created a great storage area and a firm place to mount my fire extinguisher and inverter.
  5. okiemudslinger

okiemudslinger New Member

I do and I'm a fireman also. I have two in my bed box.
  6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I don't yet have any in my vehicles, though I do take the one from the house when I drive the deuce any real distance.

Any suggestions where I can find affordable extinguishers? Home Depot and Amazon have them for the same price which is around $40 for a 10 pounder. Regardless I need them, but when I should be buying 5 of them, it gets expensive.
  7. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

Oh Yeah, I carry a fire extinguisher and have for 25 years. Along with a small medical kit, 10.00 pound tow rope , flears and note paper and a lead pencil.
  8. Tungsten23

Tungsten23 Member

I need to buy one for my 09 Silverado, a couple of good places: Under the rear Crew Cab seats behind where the Jack/tire changing kit is, or in under the jumper seat in the center of the front row seats, possible one in the top clam shell on top of the glove compartment.

My question is, are those automotive extinguishers good to stay inside of a vehicle for as long as until they are used "in case of a fire". I'm not jacking the thread, my question simply is: is it okay to leave it in the car 365 days a year come freezing weather to blistering summers?
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have left mine in my boat in the blistering heat and freezing weather. It was fine when I needed it. It was about 2 years old.
  10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Most extinguishers are charged with CF3BR or equivalent and have a powder or foam chemical that does the actual fire smothering which normally makes them safe for a temperature range of -30 to 150deg.
    The most important thing to check is ensuring the safety pin cant accidently come out and cause accidental discharge and the charge or pressure gauge is in the green.
    Also remember once used, even partially and a fire extinguisher is done.
    When using its always safest to ensure the extinguisher is fully discharged before placing back in your vehicle.
    Most exstinguishers cant be recharged, use once and dispose of, if your unsure of disposal most fire stations will take them.
    If possible prior to discharging an extinguisher try to ground it out, extinguishers build up static electricity that can zap you good.
    Always aim at the base of a fire for best results, and if the fire has liquids dont push them around as this may cause the fire to spread, try to coat or smother a fire.