Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do You Know What a .DXF file is?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by bac-n-afect, Sep 13, 2009.

1. bac-n-afect

bac-n-afect Rockstar 100 Posts

If you do, then I need your help. I have access to someone that can do really neat custom machining. He owns a Silverado as well and we are both fans of illuminated door sills. Pictured here...
    We think that 400$ is too much to pay and would like to try to make some ourselves.This is where you come in, We can not find a scale, .dxf file to work from. We have tried saving vector files as .dxf several times now unsucessfully. So I am asking if there is anyone out there with Autocad and a little free time. Draw up some artwork and send it our way. It might just get you a set like these. Complete with electroluminescent panels beneath them that would come on when you open your doors...

Keep in mind that this is a DIY project of ours and there will Not be any exchange of money! only services.

Keep on truckin
    Bac-n-afect

Attached Files:

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

For $80 you can get RasterVect that will put your drawing into an output file .dxf for use with your CNC.

Check it out at: http://www.rastervect.com/
  3. Henchman

Henchman Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

How would I get a set without paying 400 for them? That's kinda pricy
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Another thing you can do is order a free Auto CAD 30 day trial. :)
  5. bac-n-afect

Good Ideas folks, I'll give that program a shot,
    I'll make sure i do a write-up once I get a set finished!
  6. hamhock

hamhock New Member

I have AutoCAD

I've got AutoCAD and I could probably come up with some time...looks like you are not asking for a whole lot.

Mark
    AKA hamhock
  7. bac-n-afect

Update

Ok, I have slowly been creeping along with my door sill project and I am starting to get excited about the results. Enough so that I want to share where I am. I wrote a program to cut the Silverado letters, have an all but polished sill design and have come up with a way to fill the letters in with clear hardening epoxy so my finished product will have longevity. I also recently figured out how I will prevent the Aluminum from corroding. Primer on the underside and spray in bed liner on the top! Here are some progress pics.
  8. bac-n-afect

S3--> In the Raw

S1--> Cut to the Ballpark

S2--> 3D to show thickness/strength

S4--> showing off
    logo is close to 18" in length and just over 2" tall
    Backlit in a close to factory display color and if everything goes right,
    Will illuminate only when the door is open!

Attached Files:

• s3.jpg
      s3.jpg
      File size:
      69.3 KB
      Views:
    • s1.jpg
      s1.jpg
      File size:
      69.1 KB
      Views:
    • s2.jpg
      s2.jpg
      File size:
      78 KB
      Views:
    • s4.jpg
      s4.jpg
      File size:
      54.7 KB
      Views:
  9. Tommygunz

Tommygunz Rockstar

That is one of the coolest DIY projects I have seen in a long time.. I really dig it.