1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do you put diesel in a gas truck?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by rileyjr16, Sep 16, 2013.

1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

Alright so we all know that they have products like seafoam and Lucas to clean out our fuel injectors. Whenever I was little I always remembered my dad (very smart with vehicles) putting maybe a gallon and a half to 2 gallons of diesel fuel in his 1992 GMC Sierra with the 4.3 V6. He always told me that this was one of the best ways to help clean out your engine and keep the system clean. I'm just curious if anybody ever runs diesel occasionally through their trucks mixed with gasoline. I only do this every now and then and since I have a fuel injected engine instead of TBI, I don't quite have the ratio that my dad used to use. I just filled up 23.178 gallons of gasoline and about 3/4 gallon of diesel fuel.

What can this hurt?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Never ran diesel with the fuel but some additives do have a chemical make-up similiar to Diesel.
    Possible consequences might be an oily coating in the cat convertor, but it should burn out quick with the temps, and oily residue on pre cat sensors.
    But on the other hand it should offer lubrication to valve seals, seats, and injectors.
  3. rileyjr16

That was also another bonus I remember hearing about. Lube.
  4. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

what generation is your father from?
    sounds just like mine lol
    My dad has always told me the same thing!
    but i have yet to try it...
  5. rileyjr16

The Dwight D Eisenhower generation.
  6. yotchie

yotchie Member

i have heard of the diesel fuel. I think the amount seems a bit high but if the results are positive then all the power to ya. i have also heard a small amount of atf fluid is good for injectors but i haven't tried it
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Ive used ATF fluid in a carburated engine to loosen stuck lifters.
    It also works well in Mazda RX7 rotary engines to condition the wipers on the rotor, stops excessive oil burn.
  8. rileyjr16

So not recommended for use in my truck (ATF)
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Back in the day ATF was ok. But, I have heard that it can mess up your cats and O2 sensors. I don't know if it is true or not. I run TC-W3 2 cycle marine formula in every tank with a 5 gallon to 1 ounce ratio. It is said that it lubes and cleans injectors, fuel pump, and valves. I have been running it approx 6 months and have seen an increase from between 13.5-15.2 mpg to a solid and consistent 17.4 mpg in the city. Not to mention a smoother idle
  10. rileyjr16

Heck I need me some of that