1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do you really need a cold air intake?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Jarrett, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 1998 Chevrolet K-1500 5.0. I was looking at buying a cold air intake for my vehicle, but why should I? On my truck, there is a box surrounding the air filter. I just took the top of the box off, and to me this works just like a cold air intake, if anyone thinks this is stupid or cold mess up something on my truck please reply.
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

NO! We don't need one, but they look so cool under the hood! I personally think cold air intakes a waste of money, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy another more expensive one next time. It's one of those things like, hey everyone else is doing it so why shouldn't I? I did think of doing what you did on my last truck, but the ego boost got to me and I bought a K&N anyway LOL!

I think it's personal preference myself, and you really don't see any gains unless you use a programmer with it in the first place. I look at it as a way to stimulate the economy, but it is usually the first thing that somebody does to there truck because of ease of installation. :sign0021:
  3. Jarrett

I agree, I know some guys who have K&N cold air intakes, but why spend several hundred dollars, on something that could be done free, and in about 10 seconds at most.
  4. XS ive

XS ive Rockstar 100 Posts

I didn't need my Volant CAI, but I like it. I guess allowing more air in is key to the system. I was surprised at the plastic that was attached to the OEM intake tube. Removing that shaved a few...ounces off my ride! :glasses:
  5. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

OK,OK....i don't know about free or 10 seconds, but for around 40 bucks there are real nice ones.

Although the Big money K&N perform better.

COLD AIR in an engine intake is always better, do u need it ....NO , does it help your power band and performance ....YES !!!!!!!!!:great:

Just my 2c
  6. Jarrett

I was talking about (Free, and about 10 seconds) taking the lid off the air intake box, that draws air from a hole in the fender. Wouldn't taking off the lid, do the same thing as buying a cold air intake kit, because you are still drawing in air from an air filter underneath the hood.
  7. XS ive

XS ive Rockstar 100 Posts

The big robbers of free flowing air are the intake to the filter,the filter, and the tube between filter and manifold. Removing OEM filter box cover will take care of 1 of the 3, but the air will still have 2 other elements to deal with before it gets to where it needs to be. Yes without the OEM cover it will be better, but not as efficient as it could be.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  8. Jarrett

What would be the difference in the tube between the filter and the intake? They both seem to do the same thing, even though the look different.Also how could one be more efficient than the other, if they both would deliver air from the filter to the intake in the same path?
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

To get a true Cold Air Intake you'd probably need to build your own, something drawing air from a low pressure area on the outside of the trucks sheetmetal, probably the best low pressure area is at the base of the windshield with your scoop running towards the windshield like a cowl induction hood. Make the intake tube short and smooth, the throttle body will put all the swirl you need into the mix, fewer curves and bumps leave less disturbed air.
    OEM and aftermarket intakes normally draw from places that have warm engine compartment air mixing in with them.
  10. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

REAL COLD AIR INTAKE , just like i did on my little Suburban.......