1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do you think the GM made a mistake by not producing a minivan

Discussion in 'Chevy Uplander & GM Minivan Forum' started by Pikey, Mar 22, 2013.

?

Did GM make a mistake Getting out of the Minivan Market?

1. Yes, Big mistake, I would buy another GM Van

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Yes , Mistake, but I would not buy a new GM van

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. No, Their vans could not compete

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I was curious how many folks think that GM made a major mistake getting out of the minivan market. We all know that Chrysler is the king of the minivan market. But, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, and VW all produce minivans that compete with Chrysler. How many folks are looking at buying another brand to replace their aging GM van?
  2. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

Everyone makes a mini van... and their decision was based on market share and $$$. I think a big market GM is missing on is offering performance products as options for vehicles. Just think about it... offering gm supported aftermarket products such as exhaust, intakes, lift kits etc. They just do not realize the market share they are missing.
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

The VW is a Chrysler I have driven the Honda's and my friends AWD Toyota and they are the Cream of the crop..
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I test drove the Honda, toyota and nissan when we were looking. We ended up with a dodge caravan. For the money I could not pass it up. Plus we paid $2000 more for a bumper to bumper lifetime warranty. Under $24,000 and we walked out with a very well equipped van with a lifetime warranty
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm not a minivan person at all, but I know I miss the overtime I got from building them lol!! 7 days a week 12 hours a day for years!! The post office placed the largest order right before GM stopped making them, over 200,000 units.

I think GM has made tons of mistakes like getting rid of:

Oldsmobile
    Pontiac
    Minivans
    Mini trucks (S10)

I could go on and on but I won't
  6. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Mini van sales are not what they used to be. Even Ford got out of the mini van gig (I don't count that stupid looking Transit thing).

The crossover replaced the mini van years ago. GM sells quite a few Traverses and Acadias.

IMO the Chevy Astro and GMC Safari were the best mini vans ever made. I saw a LOT of businesses use them as a less pricier alternative to full size vans.
  7. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If or when I get married, it the wife wants a mini van, I will personally goto the dealership and order an Express conversion van cause the van will be a full size van on a truck body.
  8. yotchie

yotchie Rockstar 100 Posts

it was a mistake for automakers to make minivans in the first place lol
  9. geo1

geo1 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

when i was a young lad,we had a station wagon,chevy ofcourse,should of stayed with that too,somebody else still makes em,right?
  10. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 Rockstar 100 Posts

Just another reason they went bankrupt: killing the vans and Olds and Pontiac divisions. Who cares what the customer wants, drink the KoolAid.