Does anyone have a built 5.3?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by mrbrown88, Jan 6, 2014.

1. mrbrown88

mrbrown88 Member

I'm looking for advice on this. I was recently considering getting rid of my truck to get something that doesn't burn oil and shut off cylinders like the 5.3 and something with the power of the 6.2.

I'm looking to get a programmer soon to disable the AFM to solve that issue, but what else could I do to build this motor? I have searched through multiple forums to see if anyone has built a 5.3 to get a good amount of power out of it with no avail.

To the best of my knowledge the 5.3 is built on the LS platform, but can LS parts be put directly on this motor?

Any advice is appreciated and if this is a dumb question please be easy on me.:oops:

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

3. the phantom

the phantom Well-Known Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

From what a mechanic told me was that the chevy engines can be built as far as your wallet will let you go. supercharger, cam, high comp pistons, the list can go on.

4. Kapelusprime

Kapelusprime Member

Youtube it, the lower end on the 5.3 is good to go. It's the lifters and cam that most guys swap. Comp cams makes a line of cam's called thumper. Cam and headers with a program on a 5.3 can put you easily into the upper 300's Hp at the rear wheels range. Just don't overlook what many if not all of the guys who super charge do. They have put money into the trans for a more responsive solenoid and better drive shaft. The 400 to 450 Hp mark with a stock trans dose not hold up. Many guys on the forums and there are a few examples on youtube of guys scattering their stock trans or drive shaft with a screw on the 5.3 V 8. In fact youtube cam' ed 5.3 and you'll get twenty or so hits. I live around the corner from Tonawanda powertrain engine plant, got relatives that work there too. The autorama and Buffalo Auto Show every spring is a great place to meet Engineers from the plant, ask what they have done to their cars and trucks. Watched them build a 6.2 from the ground up right there at the show last year. A consensuses there was, if your going to super charge your truck or car with a 5.3 or 6.2 you need to do some trans and drive line upgrades too, in order to keep from untimely failure.

5. dave13net

dave13net Member

truckin mag. did a mild to wild build on this motor. great information and graphs,motor is referred to as Lm7
    hope this helps

6. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I just read the cited article...Holy Crap! Those are some outrageous numbers. Really makes me want to do the first step build on my 176K 5.3. The only problem is, even with the mildest build, the tranny has to be beefed up, meaning more $$$. Who has info on mild tranny builds to handle 450HP? Thanks!

7. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

Nelson racing engines uses a 5.3 as their test mule. Hear built 2500hp ls engines. They primarily do twin turbo builds and are real bad a$$ Look him up on YouTube

8. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

9. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I assume that if you build a 5.3L that it won't be a daily driver.

What's your budget? How much HP are you looking for?

10. badazz2013

badazz2013 New Member

is there a way to disable the motor from switching from 8 cylinders to 4 cylinders so its constantly running on 8 instead of 4?