Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Does anyone have a built 5.3?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by mrbrown88, Jan 6, 2014.

1. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Yes, you will need a programmer such as a diablosport predator

2. SAGO

SAGO New Member

If possible find a motor from a wrecked 2005 extra cab small box with 4x4 not z71. Those motors are known as a L33, Based around the LS motors. Its an aluminum block and heads motor, no need to swap the intake (you will loose power). This motor has a few extra ponys, and torque. Good luck!!

3. Kapelusprime

Kapelusprime Member

Yes the diablo series of programers, I have the intune and love it. There is also the "Ranger" they are under dash CAN port plug in. There is one to make you run on 4 cylinder longer and one to turn off AFM.

4. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

The Range module from Range Technologies is the cheapest way to disable the V4/V8 function and have a true V8 all the time. You can get them from Auto Anything for around $160. They just plug into the OBD port and work in the background just sending a signal to the ECM to not go into AFM mode. For those that are worried about warranty issues and are not really looking at a performance tune, this is the cheapest way to go and it works great. That is how I disabled mine the day after I bought it new and brought it home. I will be moving up to a Diablo Intune soon, so will do the AFM disable permanently with that.

Oh, at Auto Anything website, they list the Range module higher than I stated. Just do a chat session on their forum and ask for a better price. They should come back with the $160 I stated, and free shipping. A couple of folks just did that recently, so it is true.

5. mrbrown88

mrbrown88 Member

This will not be my daily driver. I would say I have a budget of $4-5,000 looking for a horsepower range of upper 300's to lower 400's. Don't know if this is even possible, may just be wishful thinking :money:

6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Cam swap and supporting mods cost me almost $3,000 for my 5.7, ls parts are not cheap lol!

7. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

The stock 5.3L already has 315HP and the stock 6.2L has 403HP. I don't mean to offend you, but IMO you could better spend $4-$5K in other areas.

A simple ECU tune can net you ~20 more HP which brings the total up.