Does anyone have a built 5.3?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by mrbrown88, Jan 6, 2014.

1. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Yes, you will need a programmer such as a diablosport predator

2. SAGO

SAGO New Member

If possible find a motor from a wrecked 2005 extra cab small box with 4x4 not z71. Those motors are known as a L33, Based around the LS motors. Its an aluminum block and heads motor, no need to swap the intake (you will loose power). This motor has a few extra ponys, and torque. Good luck!!

3. Kapelusprime

Kapelusprime Member

Yes the diablo series of programers, I have the intune and love it. There is also the "Ranger" they are under dash CAN port plug in. There is one to make you run on 4 cylinder longer and one to turn off AFM.

4. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

The Range module from Range Technologies is the cheapest way to disable the V4/V8 function and have a true V8 all the time. You can get them from Auto Anything for around $160. They just plug into the OBD port and work in the background just sending a signal to the ECM to not go into AFM mode. For those that are worried about warranty issues and are not really looking at a performance tune, this is the cheapest way to go and it works great. That is how I disabled mine the day after I bought it new and brought it home. I will be moving up to a Diablo Intune soon, so will do the AFM disable permanently with that.

Oh, at Auto Anything website, they list the Range module higher than I stated. Just do a chat session on their forum and ask for a better price. They should come back with the $160 I stated, and free shipping. A couple of folks just did that recently, so it is true.

5. mrbrown88

mrbrown88 Member

This will not be my daily driver. I would say I have a budget of $4-5,000 looking for a horsepower range of upper 300's to lower 400's. Don't know if this is even possible, may just be wishful thinking :money:

6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Cam swap and supporting mods cost me almost $3,000 for my 5.7, ls parts are not cheap lol!

7. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

The stock 5.3L already has 315HP and the stock 6.2L has 403HP. I don't mean to offend you, but IMO you could better spend $4-$5K in other areas.

A simple ECU tune can net you ~20 more HP which brings the total up.