Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Does anyone have Air horns/Train Horns on their truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Royce Lancaster, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Im looking into putting a single air horn on my 85 Silverado. I know a lot of guys with RAMs have them but you hardly ever see a chevy with one. On side note: Yes I know air horns are technically illegal...

How I am going to install mine:

A buddy is giving me a single trumpet style horn. Im going to fab up a air tank out of high pressure PVC pipe and mount it under the truck some where haven't decided exactly where yet. Then ill make it where its easy to fill up and maintain. It will be operated on a 12 volt solenoid on a momentary switch in the cab.

Royce

2. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

3. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Depends on how loud it is. If it falls within your state's limit, then it should be legal. If it blows leaves off of trees and makes cats screech, then it's probably not within those limits!

Use a pressure regulator. That's how you adjust the volume on those. If you use an adjustable regulator, you can really rip out the sound and then turn it down when you want.

4. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

X2 I used to have ome onmy cummins ram. Coming from someone in the pipe business do not use PVC. Get that 1 gallon tank and find a cheap compressor off Craigslist or something I'd put it face down underneath your bed it'll scream. I had that first. Then a friend got rid of his so I grabbed his horns and ran a set up front and keep the original set up. It was too loud great for game days tho,ROLL TIDE. Anyway if your lucky you can get the whole set up for 100 bucs. There's a white Chevy classic here with the triple horn set up on his room. Not a fan but it's loud

5. JnBama

JnBama Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Story about train horns on a big truck , was following two other trucks a few years ago on hwy 13 in Tenn. On the CB a driver said his sister usaually sits on the front porch in the mornings . We got close and sure she was sitting on the porch reading a newspaper, he blasted those horns, newpaper went flying and she jumped straight up out her chair. He got a phone call but wouldn't repeat what she said.

6. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I love the air horns on my work truck. I blast them at just about everybody I know that I see running down the road, and use them to also scare the deer away from the roadways when I see them. Definitely plan on installing a set on my Chevy in the future.

7. Air Horns are defiantly attention getters.

My family owns a beach house in Myrtle Beach about 15-20 mins away from what everyone around there calls the "strip" or "the main drag," on any given night between April and September there are thousands of people out, shopping and checking out the boardwalk attractions. Not to mention all the hot chicks, so I think Ill have some fun with the horn around there.

Thanks for the info, luckily I happen to have one of them laying around.

The only reason Im considering using PVC is because I have a lot of it laying around the shop, and Im on a tight budget, but I think I have a 2 gallon air tank around the shop somewhere just have to find it.

Will keep you updated on this upgrade.

8. update

I ordered my solenoid for the horn, got my buddy to let me borrow one of his horns and get my system all set up.

Also I found a old welding tank that will fit under my tool box that I'm planing to use as my air tank.

Do you guys think i should use a regulator, if so what should it be set at? Its a horn off of a MACK truck..

9. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I say use a regulator. What setting, well you will have to play with different setting to get the sound and DB you want. The reg will keep from blowing the horn's diaphram out.

10. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

If you're just planning to fill the tank up from a shop compressor, you could use a regulator to extend your blowing time. Get a real tank (not PVC, small tanks are cheap enough), fill it to recommended max, or max air pressure you can get from your shop compressor, and regulate it down to get longer blasts. Remember though that loudness isn't just about air pressure, it also depends on volume of air to your horns (cfm). With a single horn, you should be alright, but eventually you may want to upgrade to multi-chime horns, and air volume will be more critical. Bigger air lines are always better. I've got two Nathan Airchimes, but only mount one at a time (no room for both). Since I have onboard compressors (capable of 200 psi), I use a pressure switch instead of a regulator. Mine's set at 145 psi, but you can get them at just about any pressure you want. Just think about the future when installing,...what you may eventually want to have in a setup, so that you can avoid having to do it all a second time when you upgrade.