1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Does anyone use Quaker State Full synthetic oil?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Pikey, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

There is a big box hardware type store that has the Quaker State "Enhanced Durability" Synthetic oil on sale for $4.00 a quart. Has or does anyone use quaker state? I have only used mobile 1, Royal Purple, and Fuchs brand oil. Should I steer clear of it?
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I won't say don't use it, but I will just tell you two cases of what I've seen. My dad had a 70 road runner 440 6 pack, always ran Quaker State oil in from new. Well when the car had about 48,000 miles he did a complete rebuild on it, he pulled out handfulls of sludge out of the engine. He never used it again.

Someone on an HHR forum I'm on also complained about excessive sludge in the ecotec engine, pictures looked just like my dads old car. They said that Quaker State has Parafin Wax in it, I don't know if that's true though.
  3. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I don't use Quaker State anymore due to sludge found on Oil Filler cap
    in an old car, years ago. It was not synthetic, and was about 10 years ago.
    It never caused problems, but I do know it was the only oil I used that did
    this of : Pennzoil, Mobil One, Castrol. Now, I use many different cheap brands
    for the other 4 cars I change the oil on. Our new Crew gets Bulk GM oil
    at the Dealership evrey 3 months whether it needs it or not. Brian
  4. Pikey

I have decided not to buy it. I have a few gallons of Fuchs 5-30 in the garage. GM is now using that instead of royal purple or mobile 1 for engine testing. They also put it in all the executive cars when they do oil changes at the tech center. I have heard of the paraffin wax thing in the past. I have never used Quaker state and now I will not due to the sludge reports that you guys mentioned.
  5. greywolf11

greywolf11 New Member

If you have found Quaker State Enhanced Durability it is a syn blend. If it is their full synthetic blend it is Quaker State ULTIMATE Durability. This is NOT your 30 year old Quaker State. Quaker State is now owned by Shell Oil (Just like Pennzoil) The specs on QSUD are equal if not better than Mobil 1. QSUD is dexos approved. It meets the tough Honda HTO-06 turbo spec and Corvette GM 4718M spec. I would not have used anything 20 years ago with the Quaker State name on it, but times change. Do a little search over at bobistheoilguy.com. I think you'll find that QSUD is considered to be a super oil at a very good price.

Here are the specs from Shell:

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140003587115_201007020127.pdf
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
  6. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

QS is not a very good oil at all.
  7. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Sludge reports were based on conventional oils (not synthetic). The Quaker State synthetic is in fact a superior (to conventional) product. That being said, nothing wrong with going with something with a little more trust, either!

Me, I've used it in the past, but found I just prefer to buy Mobil 1 on sale. I get it at less than $5/quart if I watch...

Cheers,

-Skippy
  8. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member 2 Years 100 Posts

9. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

If you have a Costco by you, they put the Mobil 1 5-30 and 10-30 6 pack cases on sale for $25.99, that's $4.33 a quart. For $0.33 extra, I'll stick with Mobil 1.
  10. Pikey

I am no longer a costco member :(. I hate buying things at walmart but they the 5+quart jug of mobile 1 high mileage for $24.99. Autozone sells it for $34.99