1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Does GM need Chevy AND GMC?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Nov 26, 2012.

1. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

Hello all.

I don't want to start a flame war, but why does GM still make GMC when Chevrolet makes pretty much identical vehicles?

The Sierra is nothing but a re-badged Silverado with a different grill.

The Yukon is nothing but a Tahoe with different badges.

The Terrain is boxy looking version of the Equinox.

With Cadillac making ultra luxury Tahoes, where does the Yukon Denali fit in?

IMO having GMC is pretty much a waste of resources, I mean having to do make all those Sierra and Silverado parts is ridiculous. Ford makes one brand of pickup, GM needs to do the same.

Here is my vision of what GM should look like.

Chevrolet - Trucks, vans, and SUVs
    Buick - cars
    Cadillac - Luxury cars and SUVs

Now Chevrolet can keep the Corvette and Camaro (niche vehicles), but let's be realistic, Chevy sells WAAAYYYYY more Silverados than Cruzes or Malibus. Buick can handle the bulk of making the cars.

This way there is far less duplication. Ford has just Ford and Lincoln and they seem to be doing quite alright.

Just my thoughts.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

The Chev cars are GM's "bread and butter", Chev will never drop selling cars.

You may be right about the GMC trucks bring the next division to be cut; but, they do provide 2 functions. They provide a truck option for Buick dealers, and they do provide a 2nd choice for GM truck customers.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

There are more differences between Sierras and Silvys than the grille. Trust me, I own a GMC. Aftermarket parts manufacturers think there's 1:1 interchangeability between 04 silvy and 04 sierra parts. There isn't. I learned this first hand when replacing the tail lights. :)

Now that said, do we need both? No.
  4. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member

brand loyalty. if we killed off one of the two theres a potential to loose a huge market.

as for ford... exporer and lincoln naviagator. two vehicle on the same platform. im rusty on my ford though due to not have a ford dealer for the pas 5 years.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree with surrealone, they are not exactly the same. I believe (not sure) that the sierra has a nicer riding shock, better tires, more sound deadening along with some nicer (matter of opinion) interior features. The interior of my GMC Yukon XL (not denali) is much nicer then most suburbans I have seen. Do we need both, no. If I could afford a new Yukon xl/ suburban and they only offered the Suburban then that is what I would buy. I do see the point of brand loyalty issues also.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

One of the biggest reasons for two similiar products under the same manufacturer in this case has to do with name and history/recognition.
    GM would be reluctant to let go of either Chevy Trucks or GMC trucks because they both have a history, and each one has it's die hard fans that swears by one over the other.
    I'm sure GM as a whole could clean up their product line some and improve profits but at this time with so many other makes and models suffering their probably afraid of backlash to sales.
  7. stchman

Do you have any data to back up that GM uses nicer riding shocks, better tires, and more sound deadening on the Sierra? I maintain that the differences are cosmetic.

The interiors on the Yukon(non Denali) and Tahoe are identical besides the badge in the center of the steering wheel and the Yukon has silver around the radio while the Tahoe has the wood grain stuff.
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

When I bought my 2002 silverado I had looked at sierras. The excact same 1500 ext cab 2wd had different tires between to two. My silverado came with firestones while the sierra was running a different tire (Michelin I believe, but that was 10 years ago) When my father in law purchased his envoy, he also looked at trail blazers. the trailblazer had different tires and different shocks. the envoy that he bought came with bilsteins. As of right now I do not have direct access to proof of this nor do I have the time to do the research. So, if I find the time I will do the research and post with my results.
  9. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Chevy is the every mans brand they are a reasonably priced full line auto manufacturer. GMC is meant to be upper scale work hardened trucks and SUVs that while providing extra luxury in the Denali trim still are made to work, tow and last. Yes Chevy has the LTZ trim, but it is not as high end as the Denali. Also both lines of trucks even though almost identical mechanically and structurally have very deep history's and brand loyalty that goes beyond what's in the physical truck.

Also the finished product of both are different even in testing done by Motor Trend and Consumer Reports. Silverado and Sierra usually have different ratings, features, pro, and cons.

Silverado is considered America's truck and the every mans truck in GM's ads, while the Sierra is shown as a high class work truck for serious truck owners that rely on it. In older ad campaigns GMC is shown as the trucks that built America which they are, the GMC Deuce and a Half served in our military through 4 wars and civilian models build the interstates, cities, and suburban towns. While the C/K series and then Silverado has always been shown as the truck built for every day Americans that not only is used to work it is used to live and is part of the fabric of America.
  10. stchman

The Silverado and Sierra are made in the SAME plant. Do you think that the plant has different Sierra and Silverado rubber tires? Also, do you think that when the bodies are going down the assembly line that someone says "That's a Sierra, put more sound deadening material than you do Silverados."?

- - - Updated - - -

That was touching, brought a tear to my eye.

I agree that the Denali has a few more luxury touches than the SLT, but the LTZ and SLT are virtually identical, only difference is the grill and some badging.