1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Does GM need Chevy AND GMC?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

That was kinda my point. :lol:In those trims the trucks are very similar, but there are some major cosmetic changes done at the factory. By the time tires, rims, interior features, shocks, and other OE special features are added the trucks have changed production lines. Sound deadening is installed when the interiors are installed. The trucks only share a power train, frame, basic body, and basic interior features. Yes the interiors look the same, but they are not installed in the same production line for both brands.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

Sure they do, for starters, take a look at the specs posted on the Chev and GMC sites. Most of the choices are the same (size and purpose), but you will find differnt size choices. Do you think, one supplier could (and should) provide all of the tires required by GM, the tire needs go to tender, GM picks the supplier that meets the tender call (and, that tender call may only cover 3 months)

I can't answer the sound question, but they do say "That's a Sierra, put different fenders on it".

I agree, there is not a lot of differences on the order sheets, but there have been and can be differences in the piece of equipment that is used to provide the feature checked on the order sheet. It's called an RPO and there are probably many RPOs for sound deadening materials.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Wow, seems like you might be getting a little upset about this. Yes, They do put different tires on different trucks. They run sierra on certain days and silverado on others. For example, Pontiac made the vibe, same car as the toyota matrix, Same plant, different day different badge. My wife's grand caravan was made in the same plant in canada as my brother's town and country, two days apart. Guess what, her caravan has some odd brand tire and my brothers has michelins.
  4. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy New Member

I know I think that GM needs both because some people like me like the GMCs over the chevys. Gmc has always been more luxurious than chevy. And you were saying that ford only makes one brand of pickup, your wrong. Ford makes all the lincoln pickups and suvs. Ford is just like chevy and lincoln is just like GMC. Every company is the same way. Just like taking it into 18 wheelers. Kenworth and peterbilt are pretty much the same thing. they got the same frames, and a bunch of different things, just different badges. And the reason why i like the gmc trucks is because of the 90s style, the grille just looks like its gonna come up and bite you in the ass. and chevy looks nicer (if they are all stock).

- - - Updated - - -

also gmc trucks are more rare than chevy.
  5. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

No, outside of the Denali, GMCs are NO more luxurious than Chevys.

Ford stopped making that Lincoln pickup (Mark LT) here in the US after 2009, so ALL pickups sold in the US made by Ford have the Ford badge on them.

Your comment that Ford is like Chevy and Lincoln is like GMC is not correct. The Silverado and Sierra(non-Denali) share common components except cosmetic grill, bumper, and front fenders. Not an insult, just the truth. The SLT and LTZ trucks are indistinguishable while besides the steering wheel badge and radio trim. The Mark LT and F150 top end interiors were VERY different looking.

I get somewhat tired of the GMC Sierra elitism when they are essentially the same truck.

- - - Updated - - -

It is not as though GM has better quality GMC Sierra SLT tires and Silverado LTZ lesser quality tires or Sierra sound deadening and Silverado sound deadening. I do understand that 4WD Z71 trucks get different tires than 2WD GMC/Chevy work trucks.
  6. 2k8z71

2k8z71 New Member

Yeah, you are rusty lol. The explorer shared a platform with the Lincoln Aviator, Mercury Mountaineer (and Mazda Navajo for first gen) And Ranger. The Expedition shares the same platform as the Navigator and F150.

To answer the question of weather or not GMC and Chevrolet should coexist:
    There is bound to be some difference in branding. I personally think they should go one way or the other with the trucks. Either have the GMC trucks being the "posh and lux" truck or have it as the standard trims (SL, SLE...) The Sierra Denali is a prime example. As of this model year, the Denali is top dog for trim between the 2 brands. I know the Silverado has the LTZ, but its not the same as the Denali. With that said, why does Chevy need the LTZ trim for their trucks? I haven't the clue to be honest. I never understood that.
    The only other thing I see that overlaps is the Savanna/Express vans. Why? they are the same thing. I have been in both, driven them and the only difference I notice is the badging. Someone correct me if I am wrong there.

Chevy will keep the cars because they make a lot of money between the bunch. Sure, the trucks sell a lot, but if Chevy dropped all their cars besides the Camaro and Vette, the brand will tank. The company that I thought shoulda went the way of the dinosaurs is Buick. I understand Buick is the entry level luxury brand, but I see no point in it. Just make entry level Cadillac cars... wait, isnt the ATS the entry level Caddy? ... Anyways... those are my thoughts.
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Multiple people have posted stating that there are differences, it seems as if you do not want to acknowledge those posts or you simply shoot them down. You think that you are correct and it is obvious that there is no changing your mind on the subject. If I happen to get bored tomorrow, I have a GMC dealer and a Chevy dealer within 4 miles of my home, I might just stop by and snap some tire pics to end this discussion.
  8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Own both AND mod/work on both ... then you'll know that the differences are not just cosmetic.

Prior to my current 04 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4 I owned a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS 4x4 Z71. The absolute easiest non-cosmetic item to point out is that the 04 Sierra uses the tails off the 99-02 Silvy. Both have 3 bulb sockets. By comparison, 03 and later Silvys have 4 bulb sockets.

This means the tails on an 04 Sierra will NOT properly plug into the wiring harness on an 04 Silvy ... as the Silvy's tail harness will have 4 bulb sockets (and 4 bulbs) but the 04 Sierra tails only have 3 openings for bulbs.

That's a wiring difference, not just a cosmetic one. Why they elected to use the older Silvy tails on a newer Sierra is beyond me, but it's what they did and it affects more than just looks.

As for the jute (the material under the carpet -- i.e. lame OEM sound deadening) it was the same in both of my trucks. I can't speak to the shocks because both trucks were bought used and both had far outlived the OEM shocks and had replacements.

Regardless, your continued assertion that the trucks are the same aside from cosmetic differences ... is patently false.
  9. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

Yes, because one day GM got a certain brand of tire and then some days later got another brand at maybe a better price is 100% proof that the trucks are VERY different, how can I possibly refute that evidence.

- - - Updated - - -

I would call slightly different tail lenses "cosmetic". Besides you are comparing a 2000 Silverado to a 2004 Sierra. You need to compare the same year (i.e. 2004 Silverado and 2004 Sierra).
  10. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

the 03=07 calssic silverados used a compleltly different taillight, headlight assembly, and front clip and bumper. not exactly a minor cosmetic thing. 03-07 sierras had diffferent rims, tail lights, headlights, front bumper, and some dfferences in wiring. having owned a 03 silverado, and 05 sierra (same generation of truck) i can vouch for them being different besides a steering wheel badge and a grill emblem. Im not saying one is better then the other, just that they ARE different.

Alex