1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Does GM need Chevy AND GMC?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Nov 26, 2012.

1. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy New Member 100 Posts

The only thing that i can find different with chevy and gmc, is that gmc is still always more luxurious than chevy nomatter what package you have. Gmc rides better, unless there is a flaw in the suspension. Chevy is the working mans pickup built to go through **** like no other, GMC is for the higher class people that want to be treated better when in a car.
  2. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That is correct and the primary reason that both exist. It gives other GM retailers the ability to offer trucks. One is just a re-skinned version of the other. All chassis parts and most body parts are interchangeable from one to the other. There are subtle differences in the newer stuff that makes some parts non-interchangeable, but by-and-large, they are exactly the same under the badges.

Back in the days of the OBS trucks (88-2000), every single part would swap from one to another including tail lights, grilles and the like. Newer year models may have identically shaped fenders, for example, with different edges for different grilles and lights.

Take the Cadillac Escalade, for example, The OBS was exactly like the Suburban with a different nose. That nose, however, would directly bolt on to any other C/K truck without any modifications to the truck.

Differences between the trucks today are limited to what you see. Underneath the skins, they are identical. They are built to offer non-Chevrolet franchises to be able to offer GM trucks.

The GMC line has been PERCEIVED to be a more "upscale" version, due to the fact that they have historically been offered at Buick, Cadillac and other high end car retailers almost exclusively. This gives people the impression that they are somehow "better" or "higher end" trucks, in spite of GM's marketing efforts to bill the GMC as a professional grade work truck. It simply ain't so.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  3. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

This paragraph might be the most preposterous thing I've ever heard.

I like the "rides better" comment, made me laugh!!!!

So GMC is a for higher class of people, elitism at its absolute finest. All us inbred redneck genetically inferior Chevy driving folk aren't worth anything!!!
  4. clinton_hedrick

clinton_hedrick New Member

If GM thinks they can produce 2 brands of trucks, why can't the produce a manual transmission in their trucks? If they are making less options to help their bottom line (What the dealership told my dad), why don't they cut one of their brands of similar trucks?
    I just want a REAL transmission in an HD Chevy
    Yes, I have driven one with an Allison, yes it pulled a trailer up and down hills great, but NO, I don't like it.
  5. stchman

Finally someone that actually knows what they are talking about. It's all a perception, no fact for a basis.

Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

In my 1998 W/T truck I had a 5 speed and loved how it drove. I too wish that GM would offer a manual tranny in a full sized pickup.
  6. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy New Member 100 Posts

Also the reason why GM has both is they get more money selling two different brands of pickup and suv. same with ford.
  7. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The reason they don't offer manual transmissions is not a money issue... It is an EPA issue. Thank the Government for that. We can import vehicles with manual transmissions and diesel engines but it is FAR too costly for an American car maker to have those offerings.
  8. stchman

There are quite a few American cars with manual transmissions.
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Wow, do you have some sort of complex? This is the second time that you have mentioned that GMC owners are elitist! I don't think that I am any better than anyone else because I have a GMC. When I bought it I started by looking at suburbans. I could not find one in my price range that was not trashed on the inside or beat to crap on the outside. So I settled with the truck that was the least abused (cosmetically) it just happened to by a GMC. I did not go out and say to my wife, "Hey, we all know that I am extremely awesome and my extreme awesomeness has outgrown chevy, lets get a GMC just to accentuate my awesomeness "! Matter of fact I only owned chevys until I sold them both to buy my GMC. I loved my chevys and if my family had not outgrown them I would still have them. But, try putting 2 large dogs and 3 cars seats in an extended cad silverado, then go on a 3 hour drive not very comfortable.

Do you argue with everyone?
  10. stchman

So you think I have ZERO point to the elitism comment.

What about the:

"GMC gets better tires than Chevy"
    "GMC has better sound deadening material than Chevy"
    "GMC has a better ride than Chevy"

Best one by far is:
    "GMC is for the higher class people that want to be treated better when in a car."

Yeah, and I have a complex.....