Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Does GM need Chevy AND GMC?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I stand by my statement that GMC tends to get a nicer riding tire and shock. I am currently looking into proof of the sound deadening comment. I still dont think that I am better then a chevy owner because I have a gmc. I put the same tires on my chevy that I put on my GMC. I like a nice ride.

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Chevy sold 1,000,000 Cruzes in a little more than a year... Chevy cars most definitely out sell their entire truck line. Also Cruze, Sonic, Spark, Corvette, and Camaro come in manual as the basic option an auto costs more.

Buick is meant to add a middle ground between the higher LTZ trimmed Chevy and Cadillac. They also only sell cars except for the Enclave. Buick builds luxury/fuel efficient cars and one crossover. Cadillac builds performance inspired luxury vehicles i.e. the ATS goes against the BMW 3 Series. The Denali models are meant to be super luxurious while the other trims are the same as Chevy trims. Chevy as I stated earlier is a FULL LINE auto manufacturer just like its main competitors Toyota, Nissan and Ford. This means they sell all sizes of vehicles from sub compact (Spark) to full size SUV (Tahoe and Suburban).

GM offers 4 brands because they want to give the buyer a choice of what they truly want. This is why GM had Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn, Geo, Hummer, and Saab. All made very similar products, but each had its own special quality.

- - - Updated - - -

GM describes their brand politics as having "two brands" which "will drive our global growth. They are Chevrolet, which embodies the qualities of value, reliability, performance and expressive design; and Cadillac, which creates luxury vehicles that are provocative and powerful. At the same time, the Holden, Buick, GMC, Baojun, Opel and Vauxhall brands are being carefully cultivated to satisfy as many customers as possible in select regions.

3. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Pure nonsense.

I did read a while back that GMC customers had this mindset of trucks they were wanting to buy:

GMC
    Ford
    Chevrolet

Sounds kind of silly, but people can be that way.

It's all perception. GMC's "We Are Professional Grade" really makes people go gaga.

4. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

what are you so upset about? it seems like you think GM is crazy for having both. I grew up with chevys, my first truck was a chevy. my second was a GMC, and the current one is a gmc. i dont have it because i think its better then the chevy, i have it because it had the options i wanted, at a price i could afford, at the time i was looking. I also think that the current generation of trucks the GMCs look better. if you dont agree thats fine, but no need to argue with people who disagree with you over something fairly minor.

ever heard the saying "To each their own."? you say chevy, I say GMC, and leave it at that.

Alex

5. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yes... CARS. Very few with V8 engines. Those that DO have manual transmissions AND V8 engines are geared so high with ratios like 3:08 that you lose any benefit of the V8 in the first place. You are better off with a V6 and 3:73 gears.

6. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

The whole point of this thread was that GM downsized to "save" money after borrowing taxpayers $$$$$, would not GM save some more $$$$$ by reducing redundancy in their most popular selling vehicles.

- - - Updated - - -

1,000,000 Cruzes?? Nope.

In the US for 2011, GM sold 231K Cruzes, as of September 2012 GM had sold 180K Cruzes, that's far less than 1 million. Granted the Cruze sells pretty good, but nowhere near the numbers that the Silverado sells. Also, pickups are a lot more profitable than small cheap eco cars like the Cruze, Spark, Sonic, etc.

7. lonelywolf858

lonelywolf858 Rockstar 100 Posts

To be honest I always thought the GMCs looked better. To me it is more refined looking with fenders that look like molded in flares instead of the shoebox looking sides of the Chevy.

[​IMG]

8. clinton_hedrick

clinton_hedrick New Member

Yes, I realize that there are a lot of CARS with a manual tranny, but I want a Duramax with a real 6 speed.
    Stupid EPA. Those idiots that they have testing the fuel mileage don't know how to properly change gears, and on some of their reports they show that automatics get better MPG than manuals. Idiots. They rated the Civic I have at 35 on the hwy for a manual and 34 with an auto. I get 38-39 average through hills, curves, and 20% city driving. Plus, I'm 17, so i drive with gusto (manual trans). A friend of mine has a similar civic with the same engine, but an automatic and he is lucky to get 34. Eat that EPA

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I realize that there are a lot of CARS with a manual tranny, but I want a Duramax with a real 6 speed.
    Stupid EPA. Those idiots that they have testing the fuel mileage don't know how to properly change gears, and on some of their reports they show that automatics get better MPG than manuals. Idiots. They rated the Civic I have at 35 on the hwy for a manual and 34 with an auto. I get 38-39 average through hills, curves, and 20% city driving. Plus, I'm 17, so i drive with gusto (manual trans). A friend of mine has a similar civic with the same engine, but an automatic and he is lucky to get 34. Eat that EPA

9. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Pickups will always be more profitable than cars, because the us is more of a pickup country just like canada. most of the country has snow in the winter, if they dont they more tahn likely have mud.

GM will never down size their product line because then they will end up losing money. if they would do anything to their product line they will prolly end up adding some vehicles to it.

10. AnimalYates

AnimalYates Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Haha, there is a LOT of butthurt going on in this thread.

I have always wondered this same question. Why have both? I understand that one model of truck may appeal to specific people more than another and that is probably the core reason behind why they both still exist today. People still buy both brands, thus largely increasing GM's profits. Can you blame them?

Took the words right out of my mouth man. My first truck was a Silverado because I preffered the 03-07classic Chevy's over the GMC. I prefer the NNBS Sierra BY FAR over the Silverado. And it just happened to be what I was looking for, with the right price tag, at the right time. I didn't choose my GMC because I wanted to put on some "professional" front. LOL. What kind of tool would I be..?