1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Does GM need Chevy AND GMC?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Nov 26, 2012.

1. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 1 Year 500 Posts

a bad ass tool with the way your pickup looks like.:sign0020:
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Ok, I may have fudged my numbers I read the article about a year ago. I just remember it was a really amazing figure for a car that had just came out. Either way my point remains valid in the fact that ecos are important I know they are less profitable, obviously because they cost less, but they are what Americans want right now. Any who the Suburban is technically Chevy's most profitable vehicle it always has been for almost 78+ years.

I do feel this thread is getting a little touchy.... I'll just finish off what I have to say with I love all GM full size trucks and SUVs I own a 1996 Tahoe LT and love it. If some one said go try a GMC I gladly would, but my loyalty lies with my Tahoe... Both brands are very important to GM and make lots of money. Heck, GMC only sells GM's most profitable vehicle lines so that's why they most likely are still around.
  3. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 1 Year 500 Posts

I think conlan got it right on the money with saying that gmc is the main vehicle that gm sells, or however he put it. My favorite is and prolly will always be the GMCs. and if i really wanted to i prolly would take a chevy 90s and change it to a gmc, but that is if i really wanted a project to keep me busy with something.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would, too, if there were no wiring changes. However, the wiring to those cosmetic tail lights is also different ... and the word 'cosmetic' deals with appearance. Can you see that wiring from the outside of the vehicle? No. So by definition the wiring differences are NOT cosmetic.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Of course, the differences are few, we all agree on that, they are the same platforms.

However, each division's designers and enginers are permitted to customize the looks and ride and the performance (within limits) to meet the needs of the target consumer.

Pikey alluded to the differences between the Trailblazer and the Envoy; again, the same platform. I owned an Envoy and I belong to a Trailblazer/Envoy forum, so I feel qualified to comment on the differences between those two vehicles.

Both of these trucks use the 2 speed, part time 4 wd transfer case (so I won't consider the AWD versions of these trucks.

The powertrains were the same, had the same gear ratios, under the skin, the bodies were the same. However, they had different interiors (dash and trim), they had different body panels, they had different wheels and they had different shocks. A lot of different tires were used as the factory OEM tire, I assume, the tires met the always changing specs for ride quality.

But, for the most part, they were the same; but the funny part, they each appealed to different customer groups, my wife like the Envoy, did not like the Trailblazer (probably the reason I had an Envoy, haha). I didn't buy it as a new vehicle, but the same logic applies, "would GM have lost a customer if they only offered the Chev vehicle?".
  6. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I think RayVoy makes a great point here. I'm sure there are many other reasons why Chevy and GM need each other, but I'm sure brand loyalty / losing customers would be at the top of the list.

To answer the OP, I do think GM & Chevy do need each other. I don't necessarily think that General Motors would disappear with the removal of one make of truck, but definitely think their pockets would be hurting.

I don't know much about the differences. I have only owned a few Chevys. Now that I think of it I don't think I've even seen the inside of a Sierra.

Personally I would choose the GMC if I was buying new. I like the look of the wheel wells better. I'm not saying I don't love my Chevy, but c'mon that sierra looks tough.

Pikey, you mean that's not how you decided on the gmc? And to think I've been confused this whole time.

But seriously, you seem really knowledgeable from day one of me joining GMTC. Nice posts.
  7. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Thank you [MENTION=43318]FrigginNoodles[/MENTION] , I am here to help when ever I can.
  8. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

As far as the Envoy and Trailblazer, they looked quite a bit different.

The Sierra and Silverado look identical from an interior standpoint.

I don't think if GM discontinued GMC trucks that potential buyers looking at a new truck purchase would go buy a Ford or Ram.
  9. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

The real reason GM stopped offering manual transmissions is a money thing. If a option isn't moving off the lots, or being ordered by customers, it's not cost effective to continue to offer it. Don't get mad and blame GM. Blame all the guys who bought trucks with automatics.