Does this kind of place exist?

Discussion in 'CA - SoCal Chevy Truck Club' started by PhillipL, May 21, 2013.

1. PhillipL

PhillipL New Member

Hi everyone, Is there any place that will rent tools and space for you to work on your own cars in Socal near SGV? I'm looking for a place like that to make working on my car easier. I sometimes need specialty tools or run into a problem which always makes the work longer than I expected. It would be even better if they have a lift and other equipment. Something like a self-serve garage or DIY garage. Any info would be very helpful.

ChevyFan likes this.
  2. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

not to sure if buisnesses like that exist, but I do know a friend who wants to start a business like that, it seems like it could be genuinely successful, but there would be alot of risk in it as well

3. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I don't know any specific locations but I do believe places like that exist.

4. PhillipL

PhillipL New Member

Ok,after digging a little I actually found a place called " YourDream Garage " I went to check them out yesterday todo my brakes. I tell you what, this place is legit. I rented a bay with a liftfor an hour with no problems what so ever. This place has every tool you canimagine. From tire mounting machines to hand and air tools to high end scantools... The place is clean, well lit and easy to get to. If you are in oraround the Los Angeles area and need a place to work on your car, you cant beatthis place... I told the guys there I would spread the word for them so here isa shameless plug on their behalf.. Check them out @ urdreamgarage.com

1 person likes this.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Most Military bases have Auto Hobby shops set-up like this, their very popular with Military members, I know I've spent a good amount of time in them at every base I was ever stationed at.

A few years a go I put together a prospectus to gauge investment interest in a chain of shops like this, the profit margin was promising until you start insurance shopping, since no matter how many waivers you have users sign the operator maintains ultimate responsibility and that was the desl breaker, insurance cost's are outrageous.

6. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

i think with all the sue happy morons today, no one in their right mind would open and run a shop like that.....
    its the same reason high-schools no longer have autoshop classes.

your needs in insurance alone would just criple you....
    even with a full waiver... i srsly though about this for a while, but it cant be done. too many peopel that wouldnt know what they were doing.
    people spilling oil, venting AC systems, spillng fuel, coolant... god forbid you give some one a welder or torch...
    the eniornmental evaluations would sucks too...

to acutally make it work, you would need the rights and zoning of a salvage yard to offset the enviornental standards. the insurace of a shop to protect you from getting sued, and the legal protection of a highschool shop class waiver, to protect you from idiots that may crash into other idiots with money, or loan their car to someone else.
    then you would need several achers of land, 7-figures in tools and lifts, and... its just too much...

7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

glad you found a place and think its a great idea. But I agree I could see the insurance costs being absolutely crippling, especially in the great state of Kommiefornia and its overly sue happy people.

- - - Updated - - -

Just looked over the website and I have to say the prices seem to be very good:great:

8. PhillipL

PhillipL New Member

I heard this is very popular in Europe and Japan. Can't believe that people do everything for money and even willing to kill such a useful spot for others who would need them.

ChevyFan likes this.
  9. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Looks like you found one. Or did you start one?