1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Does this sound like ring and pinion or carrier bearing failure?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Chevygirl4x4, Jan 16, 2014.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevygirl4x4

Chevygirl4x4 New Member

Hi all,

Hello all,

First, I have a 2002 Chevy 1500, 5.3, 4x4. Yesterday coming home from work I started hearing a terrible grinding sound coming from the back of my truck. It sounded almost like ice in a blender. So I stopped my truck and when I put it back in drive and tried to give it gas I heard that sound and it seamed like it was binding up in the back causing it to not want to move. I put it in reverse and it doesn't make that noise and reverses normally. My Fiance got in it and said it seems like it is either the ring and pinion or a carrier bearing, he is a deisel mechanic and is going to work on it. Any other thoughts on what it could be if we find out that was not the cause once we tear the rear end down?

Also it was not making any strange noises or driving poorly until yesterday.

Thank you
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

It could be any of the above; however, the bearing that usually fails in a rear axle assembly, is the outer axle bearings.

If you think it is the rear diff assembly, remove the diff cover and examine the oil that comes out. Look for metal pieces. Also, look inside the housing, there will be oil in the area below the cover, check it for metal pieces.

And, welcome to the club
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site. You said that it happened all of a sudden, but did you notice anything different at all over the last few thousand miles? Noise, vibrations, extra clunks when going into gear? How did you get it home, did you have it towed?
  4. Chevygirl4x4

Chevygirl4x4 New Member

There was no notice at all, in fact my fiance drove my truck a few days before and it was fine. We had it towed, he is taking the diff cover off now i am at work waiting to hear from him.
  5. ChevyFan

Hey. Photos! Take them and add them here please.
  6. Chevygirl4x4

Chevygirl4x4 New Member

I was just driving home, going maybe 30 mph. When I got out and my fiance got in the truck I stood beside it while he tried to get it to move forward and by pressing hard on the gas it moved begrudgingly and made that grinding noise. I watched while I was on the outside of it and it seemed like the rear end was binding up, it kinda kinda shook the rear tires and bed while applying gas and trying to get it to move forward. We backed it up about 200 yards into a parking lot with no problem at all.

- - - Updated - - -

you want me to add photos of the truck or when I get the differential cover removed?
  7. ChevyFan

Both. But pics of the diff would be nice.
  8. Chevygirl4x4

Chevygirl4x4 New Member

Well I lucked out, somehow one of the caliper bolts had fallen out and the caliper was rubbing and catching on the wheel. Not sure how that happened but that explains why it was all of sudden. I needed to do my breaks soon anyway though. I'm just relieved it was nothing with my differential.