Dog freaked out after going to vet, getting groomed, shots

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Mar 8, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Ok, so we have a 6 month old female Schnoodle. 1/2 mini-poodle and 1/2 schnauzer. The dog is normally playful and full of energy, but today was her first grooming at the vet and she got her last shots for a while.

Anyhow, she's not the same dog now at all. She's not moving around much, just moping around. I played with her for a few minutes and she sort-of cheered up, but then just wandered off and just laid down.

I assume that going to the vet was tramatic for her. Just curious how long it will be and what we have to do to get her back on track?

Here's a picture of her before ... I'll see if I can upload an after pic later. 644382_10151533833719328_725556260_n.jpg

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Chances are is that she will be back to normal tomorrow or the next day. Occasionally my dogs don't act normal after shots. They have never been groomed (pit bulls), but I can imagine that the grooming can be traumatic.

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It could be the grooming or it could be a reaction to the shots ... or even a combination, thereof. If it's the shots, then the trouble is you can't really tell what KIND of reaction was induced without keeping an eye on the animal for a few days.

• It could be a case of soreness causing the animal mild distress (resulting in less motion than usual), in which case I'd expect it to pass in a few days.
    • It could be psychological, in which case I'd expect it to simply resolve itself as time passes. If this is the case it could potentially result in a strong dislike of the vet/grooming and/or travel (if the animal associates what happened with the car/trip).
    • It could be an allergic reaction, in which case the animal might continue to be lethargic or possibly experience a worsening of condition.

Keep an eye on your pet. While allergic reactions to shots aren't exactly common ... they do happen. If after a day or two the animal is not eating/drinking/excreting properly, it might be time to call the vet.

4. oxendale

oxendale Member

I know that in the past when my dogs got their shots I was advised that it often has side effects of sleepiness or the symptoms you explained as just kind of being mopey. I think my dogs always returned to normal by the next day. How is she doing today?

5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yeah, she's back to normal today, good times.

6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Good news!