1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Doing a 5 speed swap in my 68 C10. But what is a Channel?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by swflhummer, Feb 1, 2011.

1. swflhummer

swflhummer New Member

I just got out the old original 3 speed tranny and I am doing a 5 speed on the floor (yeah I know I ordered the new starter and still deciding on different seats) but I am doing the swap at school and can not use the original cross member. Instead, my shop instructor said I would need a channel. Is it basically a channel and where could I get this? He says Ace hardware, home depot, and acouple of other local places but I am just not all too sure on what to get.

Help appriciated.
  2. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Your instructor is talking about a piece of "channel" steel. If you had a piece of square tubing & cut it lengthwise it would look like a piece of channel. It will have one flat side on it & two sides coming off it at 90 degrees. It's sold in all different thicknesses & dimensions so you should ask him what size he wants you to get.

edit** Is there a welding shop at your school? Your trans mount cross member can be made out of smth different than channel & would be a lot lighter, but just as strong.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Is he talking "C" channel stock to make the new cross member from?
    If so you'll probably need to go to a metal or steel supply yard .
  4. swflhummer

swflhummer New Member

Well I got it in, and I got the channel and what not but now im stuck because the dude we got the tranny off of didn't give us the clutch fork deal. and he's not answering his phone nor do I know where to get one. It's just a 5 speed built for a 600hp car. Is there a way to figure out which one I need???:no:

I also modified the frame on the bench seat to have a notch around the gear shifter so we still have a comfortable bench seat. I just gotta finish wrapping it.

And I gotta drop the driveshaft off and have the U joints attached.
  5. swflhummer

swflhummer New Member

Anyone know if the stock C10 throwout bearing will work with the 84+ Camaro/Firebird tranny setup? They are expensive!!!!!!:fighting0072:
  6. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

No, I don't know, but I can tell you what to check. There are several things that have to be right for it to work.
    * The diameter of the t o bearing has to be the correct i.d. for the trans input shaft collar.
    * The face of the t o bearing has to match the clutch. Flat face for a 3 finger clutch, & rounded face for a diaphram clutch.
    * The distance from where the clutch fork fits to the front face of the t o bearing has to be the same. (There are long ones & short ones)
    * The t o bearing also has to fit the clutch fork correctly
    * The clutch fork MUST be the correct one & have the right bend in it to move the t o bearing the correct amount to disengage the clutch, because depending on your clutch linkage you may not have enough adjustment to compensate for the wrong clutch arm or t o bearing. These are all things that you are going to have to measure & fit.
    Idealy you should use all the parts that came with the trans from the donor car, but since the original owner shorted you the clutch fork (and maybe other necessary parts) you should buy a new one & go from there.
  7. swflhummer

swflhummer New Member

well I contacted Lakewood, All i need is a 84+ GM app. Camaro/Firebird clutch fork and throw out bearing. The drive shaft I have IS for the T5 tranny thats going in it (rebuilt for a 600hp race car. So I think I have it all figured out now.
  8. Blacksheep1

Blacksheep1 New Member

Good luck take pics of the swap