1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dome lights dont come on when doors open

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by CmdrPopNFresh, Dec 5, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. CmdrPopNFresh

CmdrPopNFresh New Member

hey guys....im a first time poster here. just got a 97 tahoe 2 door. thought id start off right...with 2 questions.

first off.......my dome lights dont come one when i open my doors.....but if i use the dimmer switch all the way up my lights come on. so do i have 3 bad door switches or am i missing something. also on a side note....whats the dome light override switch supposed to do? cause mine does nothing.

second question....any idea where i might find some wiring diagrams?

thanks for any help!
  2. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member 100 Posts

Welcome to the site.

The dome override switch is just that - an override. Pushed in, it keeps the dome light from coming on; in the out position, it turns the dome light on when the doors open.
    If the dome lights aren't working in either position, check your fuses.

Good luck,
  3. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Probably a bad door switch. To keep the battery from draining, the light control is designed to kill the dome light if you leave the door open. It resets when you close the offending door. Hence if you have a bad door switch the light control never resets and you get a non functioning dome light. Check each switch. Most likely only one switch is bad. The drivers door and the hatch get most of the action, so start there first.
  4. a4X42nv

a4X42nv New Member

I have a 95 Tahoe and all my door switches did not work when I picked it up. The override switch did nothing either. I replaced my door switches and everything worked great. The dome & courtesy lights came on when doors are open and override switched off. I tried one at a time and only the one I replaced worked and made the dome lights come on so I had to replace both of them. The door switches as well as the dimmer switch each provide a ground to the lights when activated(dimmer) or opened(doors switches). 12 v comes from the crtsy fuse to all the dome and courtesy lights, so if they work with the dimmer switch, your fuse as well as your dimmer switch is good.
    A chiltons manual came with my tahoe and the wiring diagrams are not the greatest, but if you have some electronics knowledge you can make due with it. Good luck!
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  5. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!:glasses: Let us know if you get them to work.