Dome lights don't work when door opens

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Kan1ck, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Kan1ck

Kan1ck New Member

2007 Silverado. Dome lights don't come on when door is opened. Dome light dash push button switch (to the right of headlight switch) is in the extended position. Dome lights will turn on manually if the push button switch (a.k.a. dash light dimmer) is twisted to extreme clockwise position, but in that mode they simply remain on even when door is closed.
    Any suggestions on what I am up against with these symptoms?

2. thrasher

thrasher Rockstar 100 Posts

Does the light come on when the passenger door is opened?? If not, it may be a bad ground under the hood or at the bottom drives sied front cab to frame mount. that is where the chassi/body grounds connect. Or it could be a fuse, or the switch. I believe it is inside the door on the latch mech.

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My friend had the same issue. His door hinge pins went bad, the door sagged, it destroyed the switch in the latch mechanism.

4. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I am replacing mine in my '95. They extend out also but you have to wiggle them to make the lights come on. YOu can get replacements at the local Advance Auto Parts for about 10 bux.

5. Kan1ck

Kan1ck New Member

Well, the dome lights do not come on when the passenger door is opened.
    I will not be able to explore further until later in the week.
    I will be checking the above suggestions and if nothing is amiss, I guess my next move will be to begin checking signal circuits from the door switches to the Body Control Module.
    Thanks and will advise later.