Don't ya just hate that!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by moogvo, Nov 28, 2012.

1. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton New Member

Not to bad, when I was young my grand parents had a 1966 GMC and they hit a deer. It tore up that truck! Don't know how fast they were going but as a child I was amazed at the damage. Could have been a lot worse!
  2. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

I am back on the road and happy to say that the truck is done... except maybe for a buffing job and I am thinking about putting a bull bar on the front...

The truck is happy again and ready to go back to work!

2012-12-15_13-57-45_745.jpg 2012-12-15_13-58-05_227.jpg 2012-12-15_14-01-41_998.jpg 2012-12-15_16-33-55_166.jpg

The last shot is of my buddy Abdul doing some detail work on the truck. He's AWESOME!
  3. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy New Member

Shes looking good but didn't you forget to but the liscence plate braket back on??
  4. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

looks good moogvo!

not sure how a bull bar would look on your truck tho. id have to see pictures.

Alex
  5. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy New Member

I know i think a bull bar would look good on it.
  6. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

I didn't forget... I have it behind the seat. The impact strip is not cut out for it and covers the top mounting holes. I may eventually cut them out and mount the bracket. I don't have a plate to put on it yet though.
  7. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 New Member

Looks perfect the way it is now IMO
  8. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

Thank you! I agree that I like the factory look best of all. I would like to add a set of off-road lights but don't want to drill the bumper. that's the only reason I would be inclined to put a bull bar on.

I would also like to take off the diamond plate bed rails and see what's underneath. I have a feeling it won't be pretty! (Love teh Big Bronco in your sig, ChromeSilver... I am an FSB guy too!)

[​IMG]
  9. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 New Member

I gotcha, drilling in the bumper can be a pain but the stock front looks better so its a tough call. But I saw you posted the FSB before, personally I love them, do like that your color too.
  10. Tailhunter

Tailhunter New Member

Nice job on the rebuild! Ever think of taking the striping off the side? I really like the way mine turned out after a hailstorm/girl backed into me/ deer ran into the driver side of the truck.

for sale 013.jpg
  11. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

I have seriously thought about removing the impact strips. I am finding that I like the plain look. I used to have a w/t that was pretty bare bones on the outside. I liked the look of it. I really want to lose the aluminum tailgate band too...
  12. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

ive always been partial to the tailgate bands myself.

something only chevys had.

the Silverado lettering on the newer style trucks might look good on the back.

Alex
  13. Megasaurus

Megasaurus Member

ouch, glad you were in a truck and not a car, them deer are way too top heavy.
  14. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy New Member

If you think those are heavy just think if he would have hit a moose. But thankfully he didn't
  15. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

You know... My body shop guy is convinced that he can make it shine like a mirror and clear over it. Even if it was chrome-shiny, it is big looking and doesn't really fit in with any of the other trim of the truck. Still, I agreed to let him do it and see what it looks like before I rip it off.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok... Here we are going to town on the paint job. Here are some pregress pics. here we are wet sanding the body out:

2012-12-19_12-46-10_293.jpg 2012-12-19_12-46-27_518.jpg 2012-12-19_12-46-34_297.jpg

More to come as we progress on this project!
  16. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

Well... She's finally done! Here are a few shots of my '95 after we got it finished this afternoon...

2012-12-22_16-49-11_740.jpg 2012-12-22_16-50-35_928.jpg 2012-12-22_16-51-23_146.jpg 2012-12-22_16-51-40_811.jpg 2012-12-22_16-54-11_208.jpg
  17. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

Wow! It looks really nice. Super deep gloss, wet look. I bet that it did not look that good they day it rolled of the assembly line.
  18. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

Thanks, Pikey! It did turn out quite nice... We wet sanded the truck with 1000 grit paper, followed up with 3M "A" compound on a high speed buffer. That was followed by a polishing compound on the high speed buffer. Finally, a coat of Mother's synthetic wax applied with a random orbit polisher and hand buffed to the shine shown in the pics. I had no idea the truck looked like that under all the crud!

Yes. I would say that this is deeper and shines better than factory... This is the original 17 year old paint, by the way... (most of it... the drivers side of the bed has been repainted)

So, contrary to the title of this thread... I guess I really DON'T hate it at all. That deer got me the money to not only fix the damage, but to bring the whole truck to like new and a set of new tires to boot.