Door chime adapter needed to pass inspection?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by TELORVEHC, Feb 28, 2010.

1. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Apparently you need this overpriced door chime adapter in your truck when you install an aftermarket receiver in order to pass inspection.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMR...-Adapter.html?tp=3486&tab=review&rvm=ShowAllt

But I have read and heard that the adapter is not necessary for inspection. Any clarification would greatly help, as I don't want to drop $80 on a little circuit board and some wires. Thanks!!!

2. betts687

betts687 Member

what inspection?

3. 01tahoefiend

01tahoefiend New Member

door chime

Save your money if you want. safety inspection only involves the major manufacture functions of a vehicle. http://www.ehow.com/list_5985801_new-motor-vehicle-inspection-laws.html Everytime I go in they try to nickle and dime me for something, usually thier 100 dollar windshield wipers, they try telling me mine are bad everytime even when they are new. you wont fail for a door chime.

4. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Dude that sucks ten cents of chinese plastic costs you 80 bucks. Bummer.

5. skulls17_bob

skulls17_bob Member

you need to get the interface (data bus). gm's after 2003 need the interface when changing out the stock radio. it will mess up other lights and codes if not installed. also its a 12v power source, and no you cant just run one, i asked. mine was only 85 bucks so that aint that bad.

6. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What? The only thing replacing my factory radio did was improve my audio. Oh...I did lose the door chime, seqt belt reminder chime, onStar, and the turn signal clicker :lol:

It didnt mess up my lights or throw and codes...if you cant live without the those things get the adapter...

7. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

call your local state police troop. They will tell you the truth.

8. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I called them up and its not needed for inspection, however I'm hesitant about replacing the radio now without the adapter if what skulls17_bob says is true. Does anyone know of an alternative to the $80 door chime adapter or if it really is totally necessary? I don't want to have a bunch of warning lights and crap clogging up my dash lol

9. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you use the cheaper adapter you would only lose the chime and On-Star(if equipped) as far as I know. I'm not 100% on what all you would lose b/c my newest truck is a 2000. I did install a new system in my friend's 07 NBS base model. He lost just his door chime, nothing else.

10. txsilverado

txsilverado Member

You wont lose anything without the adapter besides chimes and onstar. And it actually is possible to run a 12 volt accessory wire for ignition from under the dash. So dont let a shop tell you that. I work in a stereo shop and we always tell people that have pretty much anything but the nbs that you can go the cheaper way and lose chimes. Never had any problems throwin codes and i have this done on my 03