Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Door handle, shocks, leaking dash, oh my!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by EzraBrooks, Dec 11, 2011.

1. EzraBrooks

EzraBrooks New Member

Just when I thought I took care of all the minor maintenance my new 99 C2500 needed, a new batch crops up. I can no longer open my driver's door from the inside, I bought new shocks but lack the tools to remove the old ones myself, and my dash rains on the feet of my passengers when driving in the rain. Uggh.

think I'll start with the door handle. Then I'll see what a shop will charge to install the shocks I bought. And since it's winter here in Michigan, I'll hold off on the down-pouring dashboard.

Happy Holidays!

2. Dantheman96

Dantheman96 Member

Look on the bright side. At least you don't have a new car payment. Pick up some tools and play around with it. These things are fun and easy to work on, kind of like fixing up an old car. Merry Christmas!

3. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

The door handle problem should be a simple fix, but I can see how replacing the shocks could be a difficult task without any tools. I've never heard of the dash leaking though....

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

In the winter the leaking dash is fine, until the snow melts and here in Michigan that can be tomorrow. :shocked: I would check under the hood. Look along where the heater lines come in. Also check the rubber gasket that seals near the windshield wipers when you close the hood. The door handle is an easy fix. Either the rod came off or the handle broke. On my 95 the handle broke where the rod attaches. Monsterautoparts.com has that handle for around $20 if you need a new one. http://www.monsterautoparts.com/CHE...URBAN/chevrolet_suburban_inside_door_han1.htm Do you need special tools to do the shocks or just wrenches and some sockets? There are some crazy cheap deals at sears right now for the large mechanics set of tools.

5. EzraBrooks

EzraBrooks New Member

I've seen a few threads about the leaking dash here. Water is collecting in my heater vents (I can hear it move when I turn corners) so I think the best lead I've seen is the seals around screws by the wipers that are right over the air intake for the ventilation system. Just too cold to tear it all apart and look for it.

The door handles look easy enough, other than mention of a rivet I'll need to remove and replace with a screw. But I never considered that it just fell off rather than breaking. Will have to check that.

The shocks either have bolts buried by the frame that I must need an elbow socket or something to get to (driver's rear) or the top nut needs to be cut off with a torch or something (driver's front). I was hoping a standard socket and wrench set would be enough. Wrong. Also looks like I need a taller floor jack. Mine is rated for the weight but just doesn't have the height for this truck. Hope Santa shops at Sears.

6. Pikey

It is supposed to be in the 50's on Thursday, plenty warm to look at the leak :). If I remember correctly, I was able to change the front shocks out with two wrenches. It takes forever but, it worked. Yes, you can carefully cut the nut off with a torch. But, you when you put the new one on you still have to spin the nut on. So there has to be a way to get the old one off with wrenches.

7. EzraBrooks

EzraBrooks New Member

I'm open to suggestions. When I try to turn the nut, the shock and threads turn too. The tool that holds the threads still stripped the head of the threads. Not even my vice-grips will hold it still now.

8. Pikey

I would spray it down with some PB Blast. Let it sit, spray it again, Then try holding the top with your vise grips again. If that does not work you could always cut the cover of the shock (the cover not the pressurized cylinder) with a die grinder or even a hacksaw. This will give you access to the rod for the shock, which you can grab with some vise grips and then spin the nut off.

9. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I brought the pop rivet gun and the rivet and put it back in correctly. It was easy enough and the part I purchased on line was very affordable and the color matched perfectly. The rivet hole, as I recall is a large and you don't have a lot of room for it to protrude into the door though it could be different depending on your trim level. Short and fat sheet metal screw might be harder than the rivet.

As for shocks, I am still running the originals in my 98 and it still rides better than the Ford from the same model year. Probably give a new F-150 a run for its money. LOL

I have not experienced any issues with windshield leaks. I know there is a drain for the A/C that can get plugged and cause the a/c to leak. It is a stretch but might be worth checking just in case in also doubles for water that might come in.

10. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Yeah, the inside and outside door handles seem to be a common weak point on these trucks. I'm ordering some handle parts right now in another browser window...