1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Door Handles Breaking, Anyone else had this problem?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by blacknight97, Jan 5, 2012.

1. blacknight97

blacknight97 Rockstar 100 Posts

hey guys, i have an 09' crew cab silverado with the chrome door handles, the door handles have broken off on ALL FOUR DOORS and i have had to take it back one at a time to fix them, i've never heard of these problems with anyone else, has this happened to you any of you? it sucks because my bumper to bumper warranty is about to end when i pass 30,000 miles (29,960 right now.)
  2. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have never heard of anyone having that problem...how/where are they breaking off at? Must have been a bad batch of handles.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would like to see pics of this...
  4. blacknight97

i dont have any pics cuz ive had to get them fixed before my warranty expired. each door handle broke at different times but in total all four door handles have broken off one at a time. ive never seen or heard of this happening. i would just pull on the handle to open the door and one side of the handle would snap off the door and you can see it breaks off where the handle anchors into the door.

i just dont know if this is going to happen again with them because my warranty is expiring and i know to replace them is a pain.
  5. Afalconsvick

Afalconsvick Member

Have any of the ones that have been replaced broken off? Sounds like it could have been a bad batch of handles, or the person in the assembly line wasn't doing something right?
  6. blacknight97

so far none have broken off. is there such thing as a bad batch of handles??
  7. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

They are like any other plastic part - they are cast in a mold. The plastic could have been weak due to the way it was cast or made. If the plastic cooled to fast in the molds it could make it weak.