1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Door handles

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 1S1K, Apr 8, 2010.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. 1S1K

1S1K Rockstar 100 Posts

? How hard is it to change out the door handles. In my quest to loose some chrome I want to swap out the door handles to a black set. Any advice on hoe to change them out?

Thanks for any help.

Do the locks stay and you keep your orginial keys for the doors?

2. welovevettes

welovevettes New Member

Hello,

I have white door handles now, but would be interested in buying your chrome ones if you decide to change.

Thanks,

David

3. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike Rockstar 100 Posts

pull your door panel off and leave the winder up

there will be a black plug in the top LH corner. One of the handle bolts are behind it the other is a few inches to the right

remove those bolts and pull the handle out, take off the linkages. while the handle is pulled out there is a c clip holding the lock cylinder in. take it off and dont let it fly away. install the c clip on your new handle before putting it in the door. that way your cylinder will slide rite in. leave the linkage hooked up to the lock cyl. i use a pry bar from inside the door to push the cylinder back in the handle

4. mmorgan1865

mmorgan1865 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Mike's got it. I just changed mine to chrome. I ran the heater for a while to make it easier to pull off the door panel. :glasses:

5. 1S1K

1S1K Rockstar 100 Posts

Great news

Thanks again for the info... I will start looking for a set here shortly and might as well get my hd mirrors while i have the door panels off,

I dont when i will be able to do this but when i do there will be some chrome handels out there...

Thanks MK

6. shadowt_t

shadowt_t Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

my door handles are white so i buy chrome handles to my chevy tahoe its look nice with chrome ,,, i hope ican make all things chrome even the body lol lol