1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Door locks locking and unlocking on their own - 1998 Chevy Suburban

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by 98Subdriver, Apr 7, 2014.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. 98Subdriver

98Subdriver New Member

I'm new here, so forgive me if this is a repeat post. I've searched the forum but found nothing like this problem. My 1998 Chevy Suburban power door locks work all by themselves. When I'm working in my garage with the Sub parked just outside, I can hear them locking and unlocking. (CLICK-CLICK; CLICK CLICK) This can be very embarrassing at a stoplight in downtown Atlanta and downright nerve-wracking when parking the Sub outside a hotel room at night. This will happen intermittently until it kills the battery. (My Sub sometimes sits unused for weeks)

I've replaced the master door switch on the driver's side and the problem got a little better, but came back to full song shortly later. I've searched and searched for the fuse that controls this, actually pulling EVERY fuse in the interior fuse block, but the locks do not stop working. Two local chevy dealers could NOT tell OR show me which fuse controls the locks and it is NOT the cigarette lighter fuse as many folks have told me.

Is there anyone out there who has experienced this, or even heard of it before? I do not have male pattern baldness, but I surely will if I can't find a fix for this.

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Hmmm, I had a similar problems years ago with an Olds car. It only happened when my wife came near the vehicle. She had a remote jammed into her purse and the buttons were always pushed.

There maybe a circuit breaker instead of a fuse. I do know, you should have two relays, one marked LOCK and one marked UNLOCK. Maybe one is stuck in the operated position.

3. 98Subdriver

98Subdriver New Member

Latest development with self lock-unlock problem

Thanks RayVoy. Here's latest: I completely unplugged the new 'master window/door switch' thinking it should disable the locks, but no sooner had I put panel back in door and the loc-unlocking began again! There is a faint sound of clicking coming from behind the ashtray area. I'm wondering if the relays you mention may be located there. My Haynes manual wiring diagrams do not show much in the way of 'locations' of relays and such. Still scratching my head.

4. RayVoy

@98Subdriver........I've given you the incorrect info. The circuit with 2 relays is the power windows, there is an up relay and a down relay.......Sorry.

The door locks only have one relay. It is on the inside the dash fuse panel. Here is a pdf of your owners manual. Look at page 6-63, the relay is described on 6-65.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  5. 98Subdriver

98Subdriver New Member

I will check my owners manual (?) but the Haynes service book wiring diagram shows both a relay and a 'door lock control module'. Talking with chevy service techs locally (?) I've been told this 'module' was under the jack in the left rear of the sub, but there is nothing there but the jack. Advance and Autozone do not list a door lock control module for this vehicle so you are probably right. (I wonder where Haynes gets their diagrams?)

I'll let you know what I find about the relay... Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

6. RayVoy

Ok, "A" is a circuit breaker, I jumped to the conclusion that it was a relay..

I wish I had a copy of your wiring diagram.

Ok, maybe you do have a "module" somewhere. On my truck, it is under the switch assembly on the driver's door. If I remove the inner door panel, the module is inside the armrest, under the switches. But, I think you said you changed the switch assembly, if the module was there, you would have seen it.

On the Burb that is the same as mine, there is a rear hatch/rear door lock module on the rear liftgate, could yours be there?