1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Door not closing all the way

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ct9a, Nov 8, 2008.

Random Gallery Photos

1. ct9a

ct9a New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My driver's side door has done this since I bought the truck, and it's finally starting to really p*** me off.

When I close the door like a normal human being, the door opens back up partially. It's still latched, just not completely. If I slam the hell out of it, it will close all the way, but the colder it gets the harder it is to close it. Now I have to roll the window down and grab the door that way and slam it as hard as I can.

It looks like the door lines up properly with the striker, so I'm guessing it's the latch. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what the fix is before I go shotgunning parts.
  2. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Although I haven't had this problem I have had something similiar on mine. If the outside door handle gets pulled at an obtuse angle as you are opening the door the handle can stick a bit. This causes the latching mechanisim to hang up a little bit. Then closing the door is a pain.
    If your door is out of alignment you should see evidence of marred or over rubbed paint on the door jamb where it comes in contact with the weatherstripping. Usually you will see two lines, one from where it is properly alligned and one where it is offset. Also the seperation from the door to the cab will taper and narrow in some areas. If that has happened adjustment at the hinges might fix your problem. Also for the fun of it spray a litle WD-40 on the locking mechanisim and work it a couple of cycles.
  3. ct9a

What do you mean by spraying WD-40 on the locking mech. On the lock from the outside, or pull the door panel and do it from the inside? Is this the cylinder for the key, or the linkages for the handle/lock?

My lock on the door is f'd up. Half the time the key won't turn in the lock, it'll go one way, but not the way I need it to go to unlock. I found that kicking the door out of frustration frees it up LOL. I've already broken one key trying to get in my truck. Think this is what you were talking about?
  4. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My '04 doors usually take a 2nd try to close and yes it does tend to get "OLD". Some of the time, it is due to the seat belt hanging down low and blocking the door and at other times it is when my wife and I both shut the doors at the same time. After all this time, I've finally given up and just go ahead and "re-close" the door. You don't have to "slam" it (on mine) just close it twice!
  5. daddytech

daddytech New Member 100 Posts

It's more than likely the old GM problem of worn out door pins. Over time the pins get worn down from opening and closing the door so much when the old door pins are removed you will see a worn spot on them where the hinge rides up against it (if you can even get it out in one piece) the pin shouldn't be bent but I'd bet money will be worn. A new set of door pins and your problems will be solved. the only other thing is the striker pin and latch mechanism that could use some lithium grease on it. do all that and you'll swear you have a new truck again I promise you
  6. daddytech

for your issue with the key not turning i'd first get some graphite spray (just powder in a plastic tube) and spray that in there first. try just working the key around a little in the lock first to see if it frees up if not then I'd try some WD40 in the lock it's self. The WD40 that was mentioned above this was meant to be on the part of the door that latches over the striker pin when you close the door. the inner workings of the door latch. However the WD40 in this instance is a very temporary fix and over just a short time (if that fixes it) the problem will return. Lithium grease will work better (thick white pasty grease) it will stick to the metal better and won't be able to be wiped off all that easy but is only meant for the internal parts of the latch not to be put on the outter part of the door latch as it could mess up some outfits because that stuff doesn't come out easy at all in the wash. (guess how I know this)
  7. ct9a

Thanks man, looks like I'm off to Napa.
  8. daddytech

let us all know if that fixes it for you. (also guess I should have said it before but they are usually really cheap on ebay too if you can find them there for your vehicle)
  9. ct9a

Good thing you bumped this, I completely forgot about it with all the Christmas chaos. Thanks.
  10. daddytech

had that problem many a time with many different vehicles and it's 95% of the time the fault of the door pins. you replace them and problem resolved. I'd put money on it unless your door hinges are rusted then it could be more complicated but i'd still say door pins