Door speaker question

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Hunter2926, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Hunter2926

Hunter2926 New Member

I have a 2000 silverado extended cab and I know that the front door speakers are 6.5 but was wondering if maybe some 6x9 would fit? also does anyone know how to take the back door panel off?

2. blueZ71

blueZ71 Rockstar 100 Posts

I went through this same dilemna and decided to just stick with 6.5 in the front because of the way the metal around the speaker is formed. If you cut into it to make room for a 6x9 you have to deal with weird contours and you'll most likely have to make spacers so the magnet doesn't hit the outside of the door panel.

Where I really wanted to put 6x9's was the half doors but I noticed the speaker grill is only 5x7 and I didn't want to mess with the factory look by cutting out the inner plastic part of the door and fabricating grills to fit so I ended up going with a set of 5x7s. I had to cut the door panel a bit and I used some leftover 3/4" mdf wood to make spacers because they were too deep and the magnet hit the outside of the door panel. I haven't actually mounted them yet because I haven't ran wire from the amp to the rear doors but I'll try to take some pictures to show you what I'm talking about when I do it.

This website is very helpful in getting door panels off.

1 person likes this.
  3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i would stay with the components up front, not sure what is in the rear but another set of 6.5 would be good unless you can get 6x9 in the rear. taking the panel off you need to get the clothes hook and the seatbelt for sure and most likely one under the door sill plate and then plastic connectors so be careful they break easy

4. Hunter2926

Hunter2926 New Member

Thanks for the help the site was extremely helpful. I just got the 6.5's in the front and im glad because a 6x9 would have taken waaayy to much trimming and what not. I also installed 5.25s in the rear doors. Everything sounds great now

5. blueZ71

I'm glad it all worked out for you. It sure feels good to have some quality tunes in your ride.

6. Project1

Project1 Rockstar 100 Posts

if you have a router or grinder ect you could make a 6x9 fit im worken on it now just gotta get a grinder from work. maybe ill do a write up ..... but all thats stopen the 6x9 is like 2 flaps of metal (because the back speakers kinda are a clip) i tryed to make it fit the other day.

7. blueZ71

Please do! I would like to see how you fit 6x9s in the front! Anything is possible but I just thought it utterly too much work.

8. Project1

Project1 Rockstar 100 Posts

oh the fronts easy. i dunno if im goin to do it but ill show your how to do it but im not starting it til friday :erf:
    i know it sux but the whole project looks pretty easy

9. High Voltage

High Voltage New Member

I'll be watching this too. My fronts have been buzzing and it's making me crazy.

10. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I know my 6x9's are fairly deep. The 6.5's I have in the front of my truck already graze the window when it's rolled all the way down. It'd be a shame to do all that cutting just to have it not fit as far as depth goes.