Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Door striker replacement

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by BluBurb89, Dec 13, 2010.

1. BluBurb89

BluBurb89 Rockstar 100 Posts

It appears that I'll have to replace the door striker bolts on my '89 burb. The plastic bushings are breaking due to age and abuse and the bolts are deformed due to misalignment. I'd like to know if anyone else has done this and if they have tips or techniques to share. Does the striker fit into a fixed nut in the "B" & "C" pillars or will I have to remove the interior trim to access them.
    Any advice will be appreciated

2. grandparon

grandparon Member

The striker unscrews and the new one will screw right in. Also check you door hinges for wear. With the door open, grab ahold of the bottom outside edge and lift. If there if slop in it, or movement, then the hinge pins are worn too and are in need of replacement. More than likely the hinge pins and bushings will need replaced, so do this at the same time as the striker. The striker is adjustable, so tighten it enough where it will just hold itself in place, but you can move it by tapping lightly on it with a mallet. Put it about the same place the old one was and shut the door. Then open it again, and it should be close to the correct place for the door to shut tight without riding heavy on the striker. If the door does not shut tight, move the striker in a small amount by tapping on it, then tighten it snug and try the door again, repeat this until the door fits tightly closed but opens easily.

3. BluBurb89

Thanks, but is the nut that the bolt screws into in some type of retainer? I'm curious to know if I have to secure it so that it doesn't fall down into some dark, dusty recess.

4. inspectormatt

inspectormatt Member

I have replaced the striker before. If the nut falls off, you can take the interior trim off and there is an access hole to retrive it. some stay put, some fall down in the pillar.

5. BluBurb89

Thanks to both grandparon & inspectormatt for your advice.