Door STUCK shut HELP

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by knexster, Feb 26, 2012.

1. knexster

knexster New Member

I cannot for the life of me open my door. Took the trimming panel off and cant figure out whats wrong. Pulling the unlock mechanism and door handle does not work. The door is shut properly aside from the fact my friend and i had taken it off to get to the hinge pin (somneone spot welded the top so it wouldnt come out). Managed to just bend the hinge pin and gave up. Put the door back on and it was too low to hit the door jam. Lifted and pushed and now it refuses to re-open. Peering into the door i can see that the door jamb is settled in the lock mechanism but the latch that releases the door jamb WILL NOT budge. I spent about 3 hours this weekend prying around the door in attempt to open it with no success.... PLEASE any suggestions would be great!

2. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

The only thing I could think of is that if you had to lift the door in order for it to shut then maybe there is too much downward pressure and it is not allowing the door to open. have you tried having a friend hold the door latch inside while you lift and pull outside?

3. knexster

knexster New Member

yes I had someone pull up on the handle while I tried pulling pushing tugging and fiddling with anything I could with no luck..

4. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Have you tried pushing on the latch with a screw driver while someone lifts on the handle? I have seen this happen when the latch goes bad..and it took forever to get it open so be patient!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  5. knexster

knexster New Member

I deduced the door must be locked (although i had been pulling and pushing the door lock/unlock wire and it continued to fail). Im going to tell the long story because its funny.

I was determined to fit my head and a flashlight inside of my door frame but the inside metal panel was in my way and i couldnt manage to unhook my window to get it out of the way after unbolting it from the main frame, in my annoyance/anger i bent the top left corner down as far as it would go. slowly peered my head in there and smack into the door handle line and lock/unlock line. attempted to nicely move them out of the way but continued to just snap back on my head as i stupidly peered into the door. In my frustration i figured there was nothing to lose so I grabbed both lines and yanked them down out of my way, attempting to just bend them out of the way too i hear *click. and of course ive placed my other hand on my door so with a click came a thump of my door opening and me tumbling out of my truck onto the ground... Yes I need to make real time videos of my car repairs. Guess I should used my man strength to pull the lock line a bit sooner.

6. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

hehe...well it sounds like you got it at least...live and learn my friend :rofl:

7. gmc4life1997

gmc4life1997 New Member

Well what I had to do was remove plastic inter door pannel. Remove steel window panel. Unhook your inside door handle and lock mecanizam. Then whith one hand move back and forth till door opens. To save time grab all your plastic door douls, becuase you will brake every one. I move the plastic door panel counter clockwise and then out the window. That will save you some time to.

8. Trucking

Trucking Member

Man I am picturing you tumbling out of the truck, and have to suspect you were laughing your ass off after you landed on the ground. Thanks for sharing!