doors rattle

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by DCortez, May 10, 2009.

1. DCortez

DCortez New Member

Any ideas on how to keep my doors from rattling? I recently threw on a cheapy Maaco paint job and asked them to look at it. Of course they were busy overspraying onto my windows, my two tone, and getting paint globs onto my new leather interior so they didn't have time to look at the doors :gasp:

Thanks in advance

2. 1_low_rider

1_low_rider Rockstar 100 Posts

could be a number of possible things, could be something thats came loose inside the door, could be a door seal thats worked loose, could be the door latch not working properly.....does the door drag when you open and close it? or is it just rattling? have you recently had the door panels off and messed with any of the internal pieces inside the door? does your weatherstripping apper to be in good condition? is the striker bolt in good adjustment?

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What year is yours, if you have the body styles from 92-99 they were known to rattle alot, the only way to stop it is get new hinges put in the doors and from what I have read they arent easy to do on your own, google door hinges and your year of truck and there are quit a few articles about it and different companies that offer hinges that are an upgrade from the OEM hinges

4. DCortez

DCortez New Member

Everything looks good, from what I can tell, no door panels removed, doesn't sound internal. Makes same noise with windows up or down. Not sure if striker bolt is in good adjustment.

Seems more like the door to the truck needs to be tightened.

5. DCortez

DCortez New Member

94. Should the local mechanic be able to do this or should I try a body shop? I'll start Googling, Thanks!

6. 1_low_rider

1_low_rider Rockstar 100 Posts

adjusting the striker bolt will make the door shut tighter. could be needing a new set of hinge pins as well?

7. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Go to your door and give it a few tests, you should be able to narrow down the rattle. With the doors closed, push on the back ends of them. If they move in at all with not much hesitation then it's a matter of worn down weatherstripping and/or the striker assembly. If it doesn't move hardly at all by pushing on it then open the door and do the same kind of check with the front of the door. It may be a little heavy but you should be able to check to see if it moves up/down/in/out. If it does then you might be in need of hinge/pins as stated.

Also check on the perimeter of the door jamb and look for worn down spots of paint. Metal on metal contact will (if you are lucky) wear down spots on the doors and jambs and you'll be able to pinpoint it. At the very least you could put on a little strip of felt to help take some of the knock out of them!

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you.

8. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

9. DCortez

DCortez New Member

Thanks guys, I'll check it out in the morning and post what I found.

10. TUTONE

TUTONE Rockstar

Might check your weatherstripping too. If your weatherstripping is wore out and torn up your door won't shut as tight as it should.