Downside to torsion keys?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Swatchvy, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Swatchvy

Swatchvy Rockstar

Just curious if anyone has run into any issues with installing the torsion key leveling system. I'm interested in doing it to my truck but if its going to cause problems down the road i might as well buck up and go for a full lift.

2. Jimbo74

Jimbo74 Rockstar 100 Posts

i put the ready lift torsion keys on my old 2001 silverado regular cab 4x4. it didnt change my ride at all. i was runnin a 3 inch body lift and the new torsion keys with 35x12.50s on a 16x8 rim. i would recommend that to anyone who dont wanna shell out the money for a 6 inch suspension lift. i put 130,000 miles on that truck with that setup and never had any problems. id look into the readylift torsion keys for ur truck. they are a great .

3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

haven't seen any down side to installing the Tbar keys, dont see any problem if you decide to go to a full lift later on

4. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Istalled them on my 03 Z71 and had absolutely no problems at all. I had only the keys and ran 285/75/16s with no problems. I say definitely do it, if you install a full lift later it will not effect anything.

5. 04blackz71

04blackz71 Rockstar 100 Posts

i have keys and i think my 04 z71 rides better

6. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

7. Kdogg05

Kdogg05 Rockstar

how much did everyone crank their new keys after installation?

8. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My were not cranked hardly at all. Thats the point. I wanted the truck level, with the keys I got that effect without having to turn on the bars, stiffening everything up. I had the truck 3.5 years with that set-up and did not notice any problems at all.

9. mjalstad

mjalstad Rockstar 100 Posts

That is a good question that I am interested in seeing the answers for. I had some problems with the Tuff Country keys only giving be 1.25 inches of lift with the keys cranked to the max. They fit the bars a little loosely so I got some from another company (trailmaster maybe, I don't really remember) and they fit tighter but I still had to crank them pretty much to the max to get to 2 inches.

10. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

With the new keys the adjustment bolt is in roughly the same position as stock, it's the indexing of the hexagonal hole that makes the difference by allowing the bar to be twisted more before the key contacts the crossmember. On my truck I cranked the stock set up until one side was bottomed out, this only gave me 1 inch of lift, with the Pro Comp keys the re-indexed hole gave me 2 1/4 inches and I adjusted the bolts to give me 2 1/2 inches total. The aftermarket keys just allow you to twist the torsion bar more than what the limits of the stock keys will allow. Here's a pic showing the new key over the old key with the hex holes lined up, you can see the adjusting bolt contact surface is much lower, so to locate them in position in the crossmember you are going to have to put a lot more "twist" on the torsion bar

Attached Files: