dpf clean

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by drwdominance, Nov 14, 2010.

1. drwdominance

drwdominance New Member

I have an 07 diesel and today the dic gave me a message to clean the dpf. Can I do this myself or should GM do it? If I can do it myself what exactly am I looking for?
  2. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

I think that just means you need to drive it around at hwy speeds for a little while and let it regen..... Have you tried looking it up in your manual though?
  3. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member

I'd get an exhaust and tuner and chop that bad boy out :)
  4. drwdominance

drwdominance New Member

well now the engine light is on and the dic says reduced engine power. i can barely make it up a hill.

any suggestions?
  5. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member

That seems a little more serious now. Sounds like time for the stealership to step in. Is the truck under warranty?
  6. drwdominance

drwdominance New Member

negative. i'll take it in and keep you posted.
  7. I'm with Joeairforce, I thought the dpf was self cleaning. Also I've been told that you can't cut the dpf out, truck won't run after a few miles without it (reduced power). But I can't say for sure. Check the owners manual about servicing the dpf.
  8. Roadmechanic9

Roadmechanic9 New Member

The system will regen on its own unless you stop the system from performing its clean up process by stopping the engine during a regen or the differential pressure sensor on the exhaust that measures exhaust back pressure fails
  9. drwdominance

drwdominance New Member

well i took it in and the mechanic checked the 2 codes it had and only recommended changing the air filter. he reset the computer and figured i'd be good to go and have had no problems since.
  10. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member

Well I'm glad to hear that! Strange solution but as long as it works thats good!