Drag Racing a 4.3L

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by gimme_a_350, Jul 1, 2009.

1. gimme_a_350

gimme_a_350 Member

Hey all I have a 1994 C1500 2WD with an open differential and a 4.3L vortec. I'm going to be drag racing it this Friday (probably in the neighborhood of 3 passes) and I was wondering if anybody has raced with this setup before. I just want some advice before I hit the strip. I'm not expecting anything great out of this, I know the truck is slow, but there's no reason to be any slower than it already is... So should I skip the waterbox, remove the spare, brake torque, etc. Tips please!

2. heavy chevy

heavy chevy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

skip the water break torque it and remove your spare if it is a auto shift. Shift it your self

3. gimme_a_350

gimme_a_350 Member

thanks. It's an auto, but I'm not comfortable manual shifting it; I tend to overshoot the gear I'm looking for with the column shifter, especially if I'm driving balls to the wall. I think i'll just stick it in regular drive. I'm guessing I should probably avoid overdrive in this situation.

4. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

at least put it in tow haul, so it shifts harder

5. gimme_a_350

gimme_a_350 Member

tow haul? is this a transmission mode that I haven't heard of?

6. 5speedsilverado

it doesn't have tow haul? it should be on your gear shifter, its a little trailer on a button. and yeah its a mode for the transmission

7. gimme_a_350

gimme_a_350 Member

No such button. It's just a column shifter without any buttons on or around it. Remember, this is 1994.

8. 5speedsilverado

oh :lol: i missed that part

9. TheUnit

TheUnit Rockstar

Of course its not a high power truck, but adding some weight over the rear axle will help any spin and produce a better 60' time...

10. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

open differential not gonna be good, king of the one wheel burnout and no traction