1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Drag Racing a 4.3L

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by gimme_a_350, Jul 1, 2009.

1. gimme_a_350

gimme_a_350 Member

Hey all I have a 1994 C1500 2WD with an open differential and a 4.3L vortec. I'm going to be drag racing it this Friday (probably in the neighborhood of 3 passes) and I was wondering if anybody has raced with this setup before. I just want some advice before I hit the strip. I'm not expecting anything great out of this, I know the truck is slow, but there's no reason to be any slower than it already is... So should I skip the waterbox, remove the spare, brake torque, etc. Tips please!
  2. heavy chevy

heavy chevy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

skip the water break torque it and remove your spare if it is a auto shift. Shift it your self
  3. gimme_a_350

gimme_a_350 Member

thanks. It's an auto, but I'm not comfortable manual shifting it; I tend to overshoot the gear I'm looking for with the column shifter, especially if I'm driving balls to the wall. I think i'll just stick it in regular drive. I'm guessing I should probably avoid overdrive in this situation.
  4. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

at least put it in tow haul, so it shifts harder
  5. gimme_a_350

gimme_a_350 Member

tow haul? is this a transmission mode that I haven't heard of?
  6. 5speedsilverado

it doesn't have tow haul? it should be on your gear shifter, its a little trailer on a button. and yeah its a mode for the transmission
  7. gimme_a_350

gimme_a_350 Member

No such button. It's just a column shifter without any buttons on or around it. Remember, this is 1994.
  8. 5speedsilverado

oh :lol: i missed that part
  9. TheUnit

TheUnit Rockstar

Of course its not a high power truck, but adding some weight over the rear axle will help any spin and produce a better 60' time...
  10. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

open differential not gonna be good, king of the one wheel burnout and no traction