1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Drain Coolant and Refill----No Need to Bleed Air From System?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ibmoses, Dec 27, 2008.

1. ibmoses

ibmoses Rockstar 100 Posts

My 03 Silverado 2WD with towing package has 78,000 miles so I figured it is time to service the cooling system.

I was going to open the petcock on the radiator and drain the system and then refill with a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water.

Is there no need to bleed the system after I drain/refill to remove air pocket(s)?

Thanks for any tips or replies.

Bert:eek:ut:
  2. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

After you drain it you need to run it with the radiator cap off until it gets hot, that will let the air purge out of the coolant system.
  3. rotaryenginepete

rotaryenginepete Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

and make sure to keep filling the reservoir while its warming up and purging, keep the coolant topped off at the "HOT" mark on the reservoi. after its hot, turn engine off, cap the radiator, and the reservoir should slowly fill to the "COLD" mark as the engine cools.
  4. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I agree with pete. I don't believe there are any othe special procedures required The process he stated above is the same that I have followed on every motor I have ever flushed.
  5. ibmoses

Thanks for the replies.

I jus now got through mixing up the 50/50 mix of Dexcool/Distilled water and will drain/refill tomorrow.

Bert:eek:ut:
  6. ibmoses

Tis done.

OK, that was pretty easy. It took just less than two gallons of the mixture.

Thanks for the replies.

Bert:fighting0037: