drinking oil?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Barnettamb, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Barnettamb

Barnettamb Member

What could be a reason why my 07 4.3 v6 silverado's oil level keeps going down between oil changes. by the time 3000 miles comes around its getting low on oil...

2. TexasTechRaider

TexasTechRaider Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I'm going to state the obvious but I'm guessing you don't have an oil leek because that would be noticeable.

Also check the spark plugs, make sure there is no consumption there, if so you may have bad rings or bad valve seals.

If still nothing it may be an internal leak and I would suggest pulling the cylinder heads.

Where are you going to get oil changes, you may want to try some where else and see of that makes a difference.

If you do then yourself then make you change the filter and then do the oil. Many do it the opposite way and then don't realize that when they pull the filter the level goes down and they loose an good amount of oil. Hope this helps!!

Let me know!!

3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

My 97 4.3 was eating oil because I had a vaccum leak with the PCV valve but there was a wierd smell like the oil was burning. After I changed the PCV valve it stopped eating oil.

So on to my question, is there a wierd smell like its burning?

4. Barnettamb

Barnettamb Member

I've been changing my own oil and i've been changing the filter first. i dont smell burning oil at all and the gauges look fine too. its gettting about time for another change so i think ill just take it in this time and let them check it out. the guy my family uses is pretty good and i think he will be able to fix it. thank you for the help i would try it myself but im not all that experienced on working on trucks.