1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Drive Shaft Noise and Vibration

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by craigola, Oct 19, 2013.

1. craigola

craigola New Member

Howdy!

Our Tahoe's drive shaft has been making a noise for a while. The noise happens usually at slow speeds. Best example is when you are in a drive through, that speed level. But it can also happen if you are sitting still.

So, I had my wife rev the engine and I got under the Tahoe and I am 98% sure it is coming right from within the drive shaft and as she revved the engine, the noise was happening. Sounds like a clanging noise that accelerates as the gas is pressed.

Anyone have anything similar?

Thanks very much!

Craig
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

What year is your Tahoe? Also is it 2wd or 4x4 those are all pieces of info that will help out. Also usually vibration in the driveshaft it caused by the u joints going bad, but the shaft it hollow so anything is possible.
  3. craigola

craigola New Member

Sorry, I should have mentioned that and thanks for the response.

2004 LT V8. 2WD.

Thanks!

Craig
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Does this only happen in gear or when in nuetral too?
    I understand it happens while sitting still so this almost rules out the u joints.
    Not sure if you did your under truck diagnosing while the truck was in gear but for safetys sake Id recommend putting the rear on jacks if you plan on more under truck troubleshooting.
    The driveshaft being hollow metal is a perfect conduit for noises in the drivetrain to work their way out, maybe try a stethascope on the trans and pan to see if your noise is coming from deeper inside.
    Diagnose if the problem is while in gear, nuetral, or park (or all positions).
    My suspicion is the problems internal and at the very least youll need to drop the pan for a look to see if something worked loose.
  5. craigola

craigola New Member

It happens when in neutral OR when driving. But usually only when pressing on the gas at low speeds or low RPMS.

It has been this way for quite a while. The sounds actually sounds like something hitting something hollow. It has that hollow reverberation sound. Tomorrow, I will shoot a video and upload it so you can hear it for yourself.

Thanks!
    Craig
  6. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

My guess goes for ujoints. I know mine made a sort of hollow sound when mine were bad. Hope this helps. Btw that reminds me. I gotta change my ujoints soon.
  7. craigola

craigola New Member

OK. Finally uploaded the video. Let me know what you think.

http://youtu.be/vulZXfgcXZk

Thanks!

Craig
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It sounds like it is the heat shield on the top of the muffler. Try taking a screw driver and bending the shield away from the muffler. Do it on both sides of the muffler. I had the same noise on my truck. I searched for weeks trying to track it down. Took it to a rearend shop and a trans shop for free checks. No one could figure it out. I finally stumbled upon it one day
  9. craigola

craigola New Member

Thanks for chiming in Pikey! To clarify, your heat shield was causing this noise and the noise was reverberating out of the drive shaft primarily?

Thanks!

Craig
  10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I listened again. That is for sure the heat shield rattling. It has to be. It is hard to tell where it is coming from when under the truck. Noise bounces everywhere under those things. I thought mine was a gear noise or trans issue. After trying multiple things, taking off multiple parts, attempting to reproduce the sound under multiple scenarios, I located the heat shield issue. Just try bending it! I took mine down a few small allies at night, so I could hear the sound bounce of the buildings on each side. Mine only did it under a certain load, low speed accel, or maintaining 37mph uphill. Trust me, I drove with no radio on for almost 3 weeks listening to the noise. Mine was not nearly as loud as yours. But, I hate any odd noises on my truck. I laid under the truck had my wife set the parking brake hard (to create some load value with the rear off the ground), she put it in gear and gave it gas. I would get the noise at certain rpms. like you said, it does it in neutral.

At 7-9 seconds in your video, you can hear the classic rattle.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013