1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Drive shaft ticking during acceleration on a 1998 Silverado Z71

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by BrettsZ71, Apr 5, 2014.

1. BrettsZ71

BrettsZ71 New Member

I have a 98 extended cab 5.7 140,000 mi. Has anyone experienced ticking when acceleration? I thought it was ABS problem but I was told it was the drive shaft? Any thoughts?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

sounds like a bad ujoint. try greasing them is they have fittings.
  3. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Yeah Im with [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] on this one.. You can grease it if its got a grease zerk as pikey said but its probably a band-aide as its on its way out. If you pull up to a drive thru for example you can hear the sound better and they sometimes sound like a bed spring creeking too. Let us know if you find the problem.. Its always nice to hear the symptoms of problems and then know what the problem actually was. Good luck!!
  4. BrettsZ71

BrettsZ71 New Member

That's the funny thing, The ujoints are tight and it doesn't make noise when changing gears! I've heard the aluminum drive shaft have something inside that comes loose and makes it sound like its stressed (ticking) under load.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

That, actually, is a classic u-joint condition. The u-joint will complain while the driveshaft is being asked to turn the wheels, remove the torque from the driveshaft and the u-joints stop complaining.

If you can find a fence, or an underpass, stop next to it (or in it), driver's window down, and pull away. As long as you are increasing speed the noise should bounce off the fence, or wall, and you should hear it.
  6. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

They may also feel tight when moving the driveshaft back and forth by hand, but as soon as the engine torque hits it thats when it might show its wear.. you can even have someone just put it in drive while looking underneath(obviously with the brake on) and then reverse and as the tranny shifts you may see the slop in it.. Sometimes the sound of the play travels and is difficult to diagnose.