Drive train slop??

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by JM Brooks, Feb 5, 2010.

1. JM Brooks

JM Brooks New Member

Hey fellow GM truck owners,

I have a 1999 Silverado X-cab 2WD LS (not classic). Whenever I accelerate from a stop I get a pretty good "klunk" in the drive line. I used to have a 1993 Silverado X-cab 2WD that did the exact same thing. I spent a lot of time and money trying to solve it, new motor/tranny mounts, Transmission and rear end service. Even had it looked at by the dealer and a chevy truck tech and never figured it out. I had the 1993 for 7 years and it never got better or worse. I've had the 1999 three years now and same thing since I got it. There does not appear to be anything wrong with the transmission or rear end.

Anyone I know with a full size GM say they do not have this problem but they either have 4WD or reg-cab (no carrier bearing and slip shaft only on 2WD X-cab). 2WD Suburban may have same set up, not sure.

Does anyone have any ideas or first hand experience?? I don't wanna just start throwing money at it

I am thinking maybe the slip shaft?? between the carrier bearing and the rear end of the drive shaft.

Thanks,
    JM

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Lube the slip shaft up real good and see if anything changes, this has been a problem on these trucks in the past.

3. JM Brooks

JM Brooks New Member

I did do that on my '93 and it made no difference. Can the slip shaft be rebuilt?

JM

4. JM Brooks

JM Brooks New Member

Can anyone point me to more info on this issue??

Thanks,
    JM

5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i would say u-joints or the rear yoke

6. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I believe GM has a special lube for the slip shaft. I've read threads that say the special lube really does help. Also, your u-joints might be going.

7. JM Brooks

JM Brooks New Member

Checked U-joints and rear end yoke, no slop. Sounds like I heard of the "special" lube before, anyone know the specifics??

JM

8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

A while back someone was mentioning a different yoke that GM was using to stop problems like this. There was a post on it but I cant seem to find it right now.

9. Gmcsuvguy

Gmcsuvguy Rockstar 100 Posts

There was an updated slip yoke for awhile and then GM came out with their special lube, I don't have the part # but if you go into your local dealer they will have it..or can find it for you. The tin that the lube comes in will do a few vehicles.

10. dshewy14

dshewy14 Rockstar 100 Posts

yeah i know what your talking bout my truck does the same thing and i also have a buddy with the same truck and his does it as well. when i took mine to the dealer they put that special lube in and it quit for a while but it started back after a while. Which they told me it would, but anyways they told me it wont hurt nothin and the only way to fix it is but a axle yoke made of nickel yoke. at my local dealer its 250. so i said piss on that ill deal with the noise.