1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

drivebelt replacement

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by psmith99999, May 3, 2010.

1. psmith99999

psmith99999 New Member

2000 gmc sierra 5.3 v8, i need to replace belt, how do i release tension on belt?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I don't have a 5.3, so I can't give you exact details. But there is a pulley on a spring loaded tensioner you need to release. Some you can grab with a 3/8 extension, others you need a specific size socket.

3. psmith99999

psmith99999 New Member

what i was looking for was the location of the drivebelt tensioner. Its located on far left side of engine beneath air flow system. Once located and air induction removed simply move tensioner with a suitable wrench. maybe will help someone else someday.

4. Alaskan

Alaskan Rockstar

That sounds right. I just grabbed mine with a large crescent wrench and released all of the tension. Damn thing had to be changed mid-winter. Luckily it was only -30F or something so my fingers didn't get too numb. Oh, and I don't know if this was a problem for anyone else but I forgot how it went back in there LOL. The owners manual is very handy in that situation

Best of luck!