1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver Mirror and Rear View Mirror Issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by PwrBoatFan, Oct 4, 2008.

1. PwrBoatFan

PwrBoatFan New Member

I have a 2004 Z71 Suburban. Recently during daylight hours, the drivers mirror and rear view mirror will go very dark, and then come back normal. The passenger mirror does not seem to be doing it. Any ideas if a sensor has gone bad, or what might be causing this? Thanks Nick
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

Have you had the windows tinted? That will affect the interior mirror. I don't believe the passenger side mirror was offered with NVS (night vision safety) There is a forward and rearward facing sensor that may be partially blocked. I used to hang my badge/lanyard by on the interior mirror that would cause the mirrors on my 06 Silverado to act up.
    [​IMG]
  3. PwrBoatFan

PwrBoatFan New Member

The drivers and passenger doors are tinted, but the back windows are factory tint. So if that sensor was malfunctioning, it would effect both the drivers and rear view mirror?
  4. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

The sensor is inside the cab, so both mirrors will be affected. Try an experiment. During bright daylight try covering/covering the sensor(s) to see what happens. Also try lowering the tinted door windows to see what happens with the added light.
  5. willngwyn

willngwyn New Member

on our 2005 Tahoe were/are doing the same thing... After reading this post It seems the forward facing sensor was at the very least partially covered.... I removed the obstruction and will check tomorrow and see if that has corrected the problem...

Thanks for the information.

WillnGwyn