Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

driver seat problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by enjun, Jul 17, 2007.

1. enjun

enjun New Member

I have a 2000 silverado LT with the bucket seats, the driver side seat has begain to move back and forth (the whole seat) any one got any suggestions or have the same problem. If I have to I will remove the seat, but so far no loose bolts.
  2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The seat has a ratcheting mechanism that allows you to adjust the forward and back position. This is made like a saw tooth blade and is controlled by the lever in the front of the seat. This lever has a spring on it that pulls the lever back to the lock position when you release it. Unless of course it is electric, you didn’t say it was so I am guessing here.

If when you pull on the release lever if it doesn’t feel like there is tension on it the spring may have broken, fallen off the hook or maybe the teeth on the rails may be worn.

Take a look underneath the seat and move it back and forth by hand, with and without moving the release lever. Look for the spring to make sure that it is attached on both ends.
  3. enjun

enjun New Member

It os a power seat
  4. enjun

enjun New Member

It is a power seat
  5. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

More info please

You weren't very specific if it was moving back and forth electronically through it's normal range of motion, or if it was rocking back an forth like something was loose. If it is rocking back and forth like it is loose check the two fasteners that hold the seat cushion bottom to the seat frame. The seat cushion has two studs that pass through the seat frame at the front edge, and they are secured with a nut and washer. If the nuts vibrate loose the seat cushion will rock back and forth.
  6. ceddyranks

ceddyranks New Member

Annoying Loose Seat Problem

i am having the same problem but with the passenger seat (power) on my 2000 Yukon. i think everyone deserves a little more description of the problem, so here goes:

The seat only moves "back and forth" when it is not all the way forward or all the way back. I checked and the seat rail is moving back and forth, not the seat cushion. it's almost like there is a cable that moves the seat back and forth and when this cable is not completely pulled tight (all the way forward or back) it has play in it.

Any help would be great!! :great:

Thanks
  7. kwconch021

kwconch021 Rockstar

if this was happening to my truck, first thing id do is take the seat out check everything from cables to springs to elctronics, and if i wouldnt be able to remedy i would take it my gm dealership, even if you didnt purchase your truck from that particular dealer, im sure theyd be more than happy to take a look, esp in this economic/vehicular crisis we're having.
  8. 6.0gmt800

6.0gmt800 New Member

I had this same problem on my 2000 Sierra. A guy on Ebay is selling replacement bushings with instructions for $15. Took me about 4 hours to do both seats and eliminated all the slop in the track. You can find it by typing in GM Power Seat Unwanted Movement/Play Repair kit on Ebay. Hope that helps-
  9. Kwspiege

Kwspiege New Member

Go to ebay and look for GM seat track parts. There is an aerospace engineer that makes and sells a repair rubber bushing part made from a zodiac boat type rubber that's really tough and has a perfect fit. They are only $12 a pair. They are not the Nylon inserts also being sold so don't buy those. The engineer spells it out why you want the rubber replacement parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Go to ebay and look for GM seat track parts. There is an aerospace engineer that makes and sells a repair rubber bushing part made from a zodiac boat type rubber that's really tough and has a perfect fit. They are only $12 a pair. They are not the Nylon inserts also being sold so don't buy those. The engineer spells it out why you want the rubber replacement parts. There is a drive screw in a nut that sits in a rubber bushing in the track housing and it's toast. The same guy has a YouTube video to watch on how to replace it. Search GM Seat Track Repair - it's posted by S5.

- - - Updated - - -

Go to ebay - GM Seat Track repair Parts - get the rubber repair parts and watch his video on YouTube. The repair parts he sells ar $12 a pair and they are a perfect fit. The guy selling them is an aerospace engineer and he explains why you should buy the rubber parts and not the nylon shims also being sold. The guy designed rocket engines for the space shuttle.
  10. SEMiller

SEMiller New Member

You mean the ones that occasionally exploded?