Driver's door speakers dead

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by 1500HD Quadra, Sep 27, 2012.

1. 1500HD Quadra

1500HD Quadra New Member

I have a 2003 Silverado crewcab with Bose. About a week ago I noticed the drivers side was very quiet.

I checked the speakers and both left doors speakers are silent but the tweeter in the pillar works perfectly. The speakers were working fine previously so I know they didn't just both die and the fact that the pillar tweeter is working makes me think it's not the radio or amp.

Does anyone know where the door speakers meet after the tweeter? I'm assuming it's a wiring issue but if anyone has clues just let me know.

Thanks

2. wjr73

wjr73 New Member

I'm having same problem with my 2008 Silverado extended cab, tweeter works perfect but both driver side door speakers don't work at all. Any help is appreciated!

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Yours is Bosé as well?

Just to clarify, it is the left front that does not work? The left rear is ok?

4. squatchy

squatchy Active Member 1 Year 500 Posts

Gm has always used cheap speakers, they all go out eventually. Pop a new speaker in there and it'll work.

5. Shambles

Shambles Member

I replaced all of my speakers last year. Looked it up on YouTube and it's really easy... a couple of screws and the door panels pop off. Crutchfield had a good selection of replacement options. I'm thinking about doing a major upgrade with a new head, power amp, sub, and really good door speakers.

6. The Heater

The Heater Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Check the speaker terminals for signs of moisture damage. Water drips directly onto speakers from the outer window seal. No way to avoid it, that is why there is a moisture barrier in every door from the factory, to prevent it from damaging the door panel. I always put in a 6 mil curtain of visqueen over the speaker and attach it to the inner door panel with 3M dum dum. I recently replaced speaker wire terminals in a rear door of my Infiniti that had so much corrosion the wires had corroded right off the terminal ends. All my wiring has crimped and soldered terminals.

7. MotoCARR

MotoCARR Member 100 Posts

If I remember correctly the speaker wire comes directly into the door and straight to the door speaker, and the tweeter is just tapped into the same wires with a "bass blocker" made onto the tweeter.

If you're feeling adventurous, before buying new speakers, take both front door panels off and swap the speakers. If the right side now has a low output it could be a dying speaker. If it stays the same then like The Heater mentioned, it could be a corroded connection(corrosion increases resistance/impedance) or a dying radio channel(unlikely)