1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver's door window doesn't work

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by rs6er, Nov 22, 2010.

1. rs6er

rs6er Rockstar

Activation the switch does nothing. zIs this a switch issue?
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Yes it could be. Swap the passenger door switch with the drivers side. This is the easiest way to check it.
  3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Good advice...I imagine that could work with a number of problem items...I'll have to keep that one in mind.
  4. stephan

Yes, swapping parts works well. I once convinced my ex that her Chevelle would be much faster with my 3:08 gears than the 4:11s that were in hers, so she let me swap them out. (she didn't understand the distinction between "quick" & "fast") Shortly after that she needed a new clutch, cuz she was slippin the heck outta it trying to get it rolling ha ha ha ha:rofl:
    Just desserts for an ex lol
  5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Actually, the easiest would be to put a voltage detector on the switch, if there is power on both sides then it would be the motor and not the switch.
  6. rs6er

rs6er Rockstar

The switch clicks when I push it, so I think it may be something else. Can anyone point me to directions on how to get the inside door panel off?
  7. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI Rockstar 100 Posts

you'll have to pop off the area where your switches are and disconnect them and pull the piece surrounding the door pull. then its just a matter of taking out a few screws and maneuvering around the door pull. if it's like my 02' there is one screw in the bottom of the panel as well.
  8. stephan

The switch clicking tells you nothing about the electrical functioning of the switch.
    The clicking only means that the spring & the detent are good.
    Make it easy on yourself & swap the "questionable" switch with the known good one as stated above, before you take the door panel off. It takes 5 minutes & is the EASIEST place to start.
  9. rs6er

rs6er Rockstar

I got the switch unit out of the truck, but I'm having difficulty removing the back. Even with the tabs removed from their holes, I can't pull it apart. Someone suggested I swap switches with the passenger door, but this things just got a circuit board on it. How can I test that switch, or is there something else I should be looking at?

Stephan- do you mean the entire unit switch with all of the door and window switches?

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

I guess the only way to check if the window mechanism works is to jump the terminals in the connector. Does anyone know the colors of the wires coming from the driver's door window motor? A new switch is over $100.